Bad Start.

Brynn

My parents and siblings woke me up this morning by singing happy birthday to me and bringing me a cake. I decided to sleep over last night and spend the day with them. After Cgc's words on Tuesday, I decided to stop being completely bitter. I know how much it means to them that I get to live another year and another day. I thanked them for their gifts as well. My little sister got me a perfume I've been wanting. Ripley got me a charm for my charm bracelet and my parents gave me some money to buy my own gift. I feel extremely grateful for the first time in a long time on this day.

I skipped class today to hang out with my family as we're on our way back home now. "So what are we doing later?" I ask them. "You're going to have fun. Responsibly, of course! It's your 21st birthday, Brynnie. You're not going to spend the night with your parents," my dad says. I freeze in my seat. "What?" My voice comes out a pitch higher. "You had plans with your friends already and we'd feel bad after stealing you the whole morning, so you can keep those plans that you had later on," my mom clarifies. I start to shake my head. I lied about those plans meaning I don't have any. I rather spend the day with them than be alone now.

"Perfect!" Ripley says next to me. "Mom, no. It's fine, I already canceled to hang out with you guys!" I say. "I'm sure your friends will be excited to hear that they'll get to celebrate with you. Don't worry about it, Brynn. Really! You're going to go and have fun! And have your very first drink, responsibly." I'm sure they don't believe I'm going to be having my first drink tonight. I've been drinking since I was 16 years old. I almost groan out loud. I don't think I'll be able to change their minds anymore. "Okay, fine," I say.

We pull into the house and I make my way upstairs to grab all of the things that I brought with me. Ripley comes in, closing the door behind him. "Can I drink with you and your friends tonight?" he whispers like he doesn't want my parents to find out what he's asking. "No," I say quickly. "Sister, please! I promise I won't get shitfaced," he pleads. He stands in front of me with his hands together attempting to make puppy dog eyes. I roll my eyes. "That does not work on me. I'm not Gia," I say. He groans and falls back on my bed.

"Don't you want to hang out with your cool, little brother on your birthday?" he asks. "I already saw you all morning and half afternoon, loser," I reply. He grabs my phone from the bed. "Cgc texted you," he says. I snatch my phone from his hands quickly and unlock my phone.

Cgc: I passed out before midnight and woke up a little bit late for class so I was rushing. About to practice right now. Happy birthday, gorgeous. I'm still getting you that cake ;) have fun with your family today and hopefully, I'm lucky enough to see you before your day ends.

I smile down at my phone as my heart beats a million miles per minute. I was starting to think that he forgot about my birthday. It's 3:30 p.m. and it's the first time he's texted me today. "So I wasn't imagining things on Monday. You definitely have a crush on this guy." Ripley's words catch my attention. "What?" I ask, thinking I didn't hear him clearly. "You're fucking giddy reading a text from him right now and on Monday I saw the way you looked at him. Also, 'the don't mention Ryle' text? You've never had a problem with us talking about him before until Cgc came over," my brother explains.

No. He's wrong. That's not the case at all.

"I don't like him, we're friends! I didn't know smiling at a friend's text was illegal. And about Ryle, I've told you before that I moved to Oak Hill for a reason. I hate being seen as Ryle's this, Ryle's that. I wanted to be my own person and moving to a new city was the only way to make that happen. Cgc doesn't know anything about Ryle and if he was ever going to hear about my ex-boyfriend, it'd be from me," I say a little annoyed at Ripley's assumptions. He holds his hands up in defense as I sigh.