Settling In.

Brynn

It's not like me to not wake up to my alarm whenever I set one. Usually, I set multiple just in case I don't hear the first but I always hear the first. Today, I didn't. I finally woke up at 7:45, my last alarm. I have my first class today at 8:15 which is in less than ten minutes. This wouldn't have been a problem if I didn't have to shower this morning. I didn't realize how badly my hair reeked of alcohol and nicotine. Personally, I don't smoke and I rarely drink but I was at a party last night.

I took a shower that lasted five minutes maximum before changing in less than five minutes too. Now, I'm back in my dorm shoving all my supplies and books into my see-through bag. My cheer bag stays ready at all times so I don't have to worry about that. "It's 8:07," my roommate, Janae, says. I glance at the clock and groan. I'm just glad I live on campus. I hate making bad impressions on professors, especially on the first day.

I throw both my bags over my shoulder and say bye to Janae. "Wait!" she says. I turn around to face her and she points at her dresser. "Your bagel," she says. Right. She wakes up earlier than me to work out — something I don't do — so she picked up some breakfast before coming back to the dorms. I rush over and grab it, putting it in my mouth. My hands are too full right now.

The heavy door closes behind me and I start fast walking towards the stairs at the end of the hall. Please, please don't shut the doors before I get there, professor. "Hey, you!" someone says behind me. I turn around, hoping she's not calling out to me. Although, I didn't see anyone else in the hall. I turn quickly, the bagel still in between my teeth. The raven-haired girl looks at me like I'm weird. I throw my phone and water bottle into my bag and pull the bagel out of my mouth, holding it now.

"Yeah?" I try not to sound panicked as I'm already late for class. "You have to come to the hall meeting tonight at 6:30, it's mandatory. Especially since you're new," she says. I nod quickly, not wanting to be rude. "Okay, I'll be there. Sorry, I have to go," I say quickly, not waiting for a response from her before rushing down the stairs. Luckily, I make it all the way to class — only three minutes late — without falling on my ass. The professor greeted me by the door, very nicely. Still, I was late.

I try to push the thought to the side and take it easy. It's only my second day here and so far I've been way too hard on myself. I've been here all summer since I moved home when school ended earlier this year. I lived with my parents for summer break but decided to live in the dorms. Yeah, it's stupid, but I rather have privacy with another college student than my parents. The only people I know here so far are my cheer friends.

I went out last night in hopes to mingle but I came back uneventful. I'm not the type of person who can go up to people and start conversations with them. I'm too awkward and shy for that. I hoped maybe someone would try and talk to me but I know that was probably too much to ask for. Although one guy did hit on me. Obviously, I was not interested. I'm not a hookup or relationship type of girl and a boyfriend is the last thing that I need right now. My life is already too complicated.

Once my professor finally closes the door, she starts with going over the basics of the course and the syllabus for this semester. The first days of class are usually like this. It isn't until the second day that we actually start learning. The hour and a half class ends earlier, only lasting forty-five minutes meaning I have time to spare before my next class which doesn't start until 10:00. Even though I came to a tour in March, I still don't know where certain things are on campus. I look like a lost puppy trying to find my way back to the main campus. I wish I had directions or something. The maps here on campus are confusing for me to read.

I put on some sunglasses to shield my eyes from the late-August, California sun. I keep walking, feeling like I'm getting more and more lost as I continue walking into random buildings I've never even seen before. "Shit," I whisper to myself as a class starts coming out of a lecture room. I don't think this is the main building. I turn back around and start walking out of the large building. "Brynn?" I hear the voice close behind me. I turn around quickly and spot a familiar face.