20 days until suicide

"We're going to go kart racing today."

"Okay, I have done that." Orson said with a smile as Astra parked the car next to the building. "More than once actually. Throughout my teenage years this was always me and my friends hangout place. Most kids hung out at roller skating rinks or arcades or something, but we hung out here."

"I was one of those cliche teenagers who hung out at roller skating rinks." Astra laughed as she unbuckled her seatbelt. "Roller skating is not on the list of things to do this week, but maybe one day we can do that."

"Sure."

Astra smiled.

They got out of the car and walked inside to pay up front and get their gear to drive. Astra had only ever went go kart racing twice, and that was because she had a couple friends in high school that wanted to go.

From what she remembered, it was fun.

They grabbed their helmets and jackets and followed the group they were in as they followed an instructor to the race karts.

"Do you think the colors of the jackets are different teams?" Astra raised her jacket up to show Orson the blue color.

His was red.

The people in the group had red and blue jackets. They were probably going to race the other team members.

"Well, this will be fun." Orson whispered to her when the instructor started talking about the rules and how to safely race and use the karts. "I'll beat your ass."

"Oh no you won't, I'll beat your ass."

"Alright everybody, split up and follow your team leaders. Blues stay here, reds you're on the other side." The instructor said.

"May the odds be ever in your favor." Orson whispered before he followed his team to the other side, and Astra laughed.

He just quoted one of her favorite book series.

"Alright blue team, listen up. Each of you will race against one member of the red team, and the winners on both teams will go against each other for the finals. The winners are picked out by how fast you all can win a race. Whoever wins, their team wins." The instructor started going through the line of people, telling them who they're going against.

"Can I go against my sister sir? She's the tiny one on the red team. The shortest." The teenager in front of Astra asked the man when he came to her.

"Of course, what's her name? And what's your name?"

"Marla is her name. My name is Amelia."

"Hey Bash, Marla is going to go against her sister Amelia!" He called to the instructor on the other side. "She's the short one in the back."

The instructor, Bash, nodded and told the young girl on the other side to line up where her sister was on this side. They waved and smiled at each other.

Astra missed her sister more than anything in that moment.

"What's your name?"

Astra blinked and looked up at the instructor as he stepped next to her.

"Oh, um, Astra."

"Astra, you're going against that tall guy who is lined up in ninth over there. You're going ninth. You're going last." Astra looked over at the guy he was talking about.

He was tall. And he looked very intimidating.

"Okay." Astra walked up to the number 9.

She was a little sad she didn't get to race against Orson, but she was going to make herself have fun anyway.

The tall guy standing in the number 9 spot on the other side made eye contact with her, and she lifted her hand to wave at him, but he glared at her and mouthed 'you're dead.' Her smile dropped and she lowered her hand as he laughed and slid a finger across his throat.

Well, this wasn't going to be fun.