can't forget

You had been friends with Spencer Reid for more than 4 years. In that short period of time, you learned two things about him. First, there was no way to distract Spencer when he was reading. Second, he loved reading to you. You found it cute that Spencer loved reading. Although, you got bored easily when Spencer was studying for work or reading and not paying attention to you. You would say that you became touch starved. Spencer would laugh when he heard you groaning and mumbling curses. 

"Spencer!" You whined, stomping over to him. 

"Yes?" Spencer said, not even looking up from his paperwork and flipping a page. 

"Hello!?" You said, waving your hand in his face, he grabbed it and looked up with you, with a raised brow. 

"Hi," He smiled, "I'm busy right now, Y/n" He laughed. You whined and stomped off towards your shared bedroom. 

You tried again the next day. 

"BABY!" You yelled from the bedroom. 

"Yeah!" He called back but it sounded like he was muttering. 

"Come snuggle!" You said, peaking your head out the door frame. Spencer was clicking his tongue, looking over some sort of file. 

"Maybe later Sweetheart," Spencer said, shooing you off. 

You were done with the bullshit, Spencer worked all the time, and you barely even saw him. You'd expect him to at least give you a hug!

"Fine," you said, glaring at the file and heading off to the store. When you were angry you would shop. Was it safe for your wallet? No. Did you care about that as you stared at ripped jeans that cost 40 dollars? No. 

After about four hours of shopping, you still angry. You went back home. Only because your broke. 

"Oh my god!" said Spencer as the door opened. He ran to you and engulfed you into a hug. You furrowed your brows in the hug and separated.

"What's wrong, Baby?" You asked, looking at his tear-stained face. His hair was a wreck, and you looked around the apartment, stuff was thrown everywhere and books laid on the ground, making you more worried. 

"Don't ever-" Spencer hugged you again, not letting go, "Never leave me alone again." 

"What happened?" You asked. Spencer sniffled, letting go of you slowly. 

"I looked up from my paperwork, and called for you," Spencer looked down, "I wanted cuddles, but when you didn't respond I checked the house 10 times! I called you 5, and texted you 9 times," Spencer was starting to tear up, "I thought you left me because I was always busy and I'm almost never around..." Spencer looks up at you, hopping you weren't thinking about leaving now. 

"Spence..." You put down your bags of clothes and shoes and items for the kitchen. "I would never. I just went shopping, to get my mind off of the fact that I've become touch starved, thanks to one person in general," You said, smiling softly. 

"I am that person right?" He asked. 

You laughed and kissed him. 

"Yes silly, you are that person," You said, wrapping your arms around his neck. He wrapped his arms around your waist. 

"Promise not to leave again?" He said, nuzzling his face into your neck. You smiled, kissing his forehead. 

"Promise," You told him

That was the day Spencer Reid realized that he was in love with you. That was the day he promised to himself to never break your heart and to always put you first. And after that promise you made sure to keep, he made sure to keep his promise to himself. It was a balance, it was love. So now as he looked at your gravestone, he only felt like you ruined his promise.

Spencer held his breathe as he put a white rose on your grave and then rubbed his hand over your name. He felt tears building up. 

"Daddy?" A girl said, looking up at her father, "I miss Mommy..." The little girl said, looking at the grave. She silently cried, looking at the grave, her hand wrapping around her fathers finger. 

Spencer didn't answer the girl, he just wiped his tears and looked down. It was his fault, he was in prison and while he was someone went after their daughter. She attacked, but missed, and was shot in the forehead. The police showed up right when it happened. Their daughter watching as her mother sobbed and begged for help, before finally being shot. It was the most traumatizing thing that the 5 year old had seen. 

"Promise, we should head back," Spencer told his daughter. She nodded, running back to the car. Spencer looked at the gravestone again and touch his wife's name. "She misses you more than you would imagine, I only hope Promise will be like her strong amazing mother one day," He says, standing up and walking back. 

The truth was life was horrible to Spencer. So he made sure that his daughter was never one of the things ripped from him. And later at her and Henry's wedding, she said right before they got married was, "Henry never forgot his mothers killer, but Dad you made me forget about how much I hated myself for not putting my head to the gun and saying 'shoot'. Thank you,". 

Life isn't a fantasy, but remember you will always be my king and princess... -Y/n Reid