Honor Among Thieves: Part One

"There can be no good without evil." - Russian proverb

Hannah stayed up pretty late, so she is sleeping when you and Spencer get ready for work. You didn't want to wake her up, which is why you decided to stop somewhere and grab coffee instead of making it in your house. Spencer works around you for his cup of coffee, and before you know it, you're already out the door.

"So, what happened last night?" Spencer asks when you two walk into the bullpen.

"I gave a little life lesson to Hannah. I told her I wanted to call her family."

"What did she say to that?"

"She was sad, but I made her understand why staying here was a bad idea. She told me she's okay with me calling them. I found one who lives close to us, maybe a state away. Deborah Nelson. Maybe if I explain to her what happened, she'll want to take Hannah. If not, I'll work my way down the list."

"You should call now."

You set your things at your desk and take out the list that is crumbled beyond belief.

"I should?"

"Better now than never."

Deborah is Hannah's mom, Kimberly's, older sister. Kimberly's last name changed to Wilson when she married David Wilson and Deborah's last name changed to Nelson when she married Charles Nelson. You take out your phone and dial her number, placing it to your ear before you have a chance to talk yourself out of this.

"Hello?"

"Is this Deborah Nelson?"

"This is she."

"Do you have a sister named Kimberly Wilson?"

"Kim passed away about six months ago," she sighs. "What is this about?"

"My name is Y/N and I am the birth mother of Kimberly's daughter, Hannah."

You explain the situation you're in to Deborah without mention your rape and all of that. You want her to understand that Kimberly adopted your daughter straight from birth, chilling Deborah to her bones. She never knew Kimberly was even looking for a child. You tell her about everything that happened, and how Hannah has been here for about three weeks. She doesn't know you're calling, but you want to know if Deborah will want to meet her niece and potentially adopt her as well since she's currently in the foster care system.

It was a very emotionally draining conversation, but she agreed to come down to you and grab Hannah whenever she gets back from her trip since she's away right now. Spencer had no clue what was said on Deborah's side, so when you hang up, he has curiosity written all over his face.

"Her and her husband are on vacation right now and won't be able to come down until the end of the month. I offered to call one of her other sisters, but Deborah sounded so excited to have a niece and to add her to her family."

"This is good, yeah?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Why don't you sound happy?"

"I just feel like a shitty mom. She was given away when I was a kid, and I'm giving her away for the second time. Sometimes I feel like I could have done better for her."

"I think you'd be a great mom if you were to have children now than when you were eleven. It's completely understandable that you don't want her around because of how she was made."

"I truly don't deserve you."

You lean into him and kiss him since you didn't have the choice this morning. You keep it sweet and simple since you're at work, and people are starting to pile in now. Since he brought up the topic of children, you can't help but ask your next question.