Lessons Learned: Part Two

Andy leads you to another room that is better suited to monitor Jind Allah. You're lucky because it's right next to the room he's in, so you'll be able to read him better. You, Spencer, and Emily take a seat in front of the monitors while Gideon heads into the room with Jind. He is carrying some clothes for Kind to wear to show a bit of compassion. There are cameras and microphones everywhere in the room, so you have eyes and ears whether Jind knows it or not.

"Who the hell are you?" one of the masculine agents asks angrily.

It doesn't look like Jind is doing too well, but he doesn't budge from their efforts to crack him.

"Supervisory special agent Jason Gideon. I'm an FBI behavioral analyst. It's time to show this man some respect."

"You gotta be kidding me," the other agent scoffs.

"You have orders from agent Bingaman to leave so I can speak with this detainee alone." The two agents give Gideon the stink eye as they leave the room. Gideon sets the clothes on Jind's lap who has yet to say anything. "I'm sorry for the treatment you've suffered. If you don't mind, I'd like to spend some time with you."

Jind stops his recitation as soon as the door closes and it's just them two. Emily notices this right away, so Gideon must have a good reaction if he can get Jind to talk.

"He stopped his recitation. He's sizing Gideon up."

"If I don't mind?" Jind asks, looking at Gideon.

"I'd like to get to know you as a person. Your faith and your ideology."

"To what end?"

"Studying human behavior is what I do. I'd like to believe, with greater understanding one day, we can come to a peaceful resolution of our differences."

"Is that so?"

"Look, I don't know what you've done or what you may have planned to do. Unlike the other detainees here, you have the education and intelligence to convey the nuances of your culture. That's what interests me. Until I get that, I don't give you what you want. I swore an oath to uphold the United States constitution, no matter where I am, no matter who I deal with."

You're curious as to what Hotch and Derek are doing back home to help the case along. With one text to Derek, you get your answer. They found the sleeper cell with the bomb before it went off. The chemicals that were put into the bomb are all used to weaponize anthrax. Even such a small dose can have lethal effects on anyone who comes into contact with it. If this was a bomb with anthrax in it, then millions of people can die. You share what they sent over to Emily and Spencer while Gideon talks to Jind.

"Could they get enough anthrax?" Emily wonders.

"The letter sent to Senator Tom Daschle's office in 2002 only contained two grams of purified spores, which is enough to kill twenty million people if effectively distributed."

"Are you willing to have a chat with me?" Gideon says over the microphones.

You keep one eye on the monitor and the other eye on the rest of your team.

"Go ahead. Gideon. Let's chat."

"He's from Egypt. Cairo," Emily says.

"Are you sure?"

"No, he could be Yemeni, but odds are he's Egyptian."

"What type of name is Gideon?"

"American."

"I often forget that in your culture, you put your country first and your God last."

"Sir, he was born and raised in Egypt. They pronounce 'J' sounds as a 'G'," Emily says into the radio that's connected to Gideon's earpiece.