chapter 32

mikey pov (3 days later, February 6, 2023)
i open my locker as samila stands behind me. i place a couple books inside.

"you think haven's still mad?" samila asks.

"yea. it's only been a couple days. she can't have gotten over it that easy. especially cause of the way she was crying." i reply.

"i don't know about that mike." samila says.

"why you say that?" i question.

"cause she looks pretty cosy right now." samila says. she looks past me down the hallway.

i close my locker so i can see. haven stands against a locker down the hall while dylan talks to her with a wide smile on both their faces.

"maybe she is over it then." i shrug. i close my locker completely.

"maybe she isn't over it but she wants you to think she is." samila says in realization. she doesn't look away from haven.

"what you mean?" i ask in confusion.

"girls do stupid stuff like that. she probably wants to make you think she didn't need you. she wants you to think she's doing just fine without you." samila explains.

i look at haven once more. she brings her gaze to mine. she looks at me for a second then looks away, focusing back on dylan.

"maybe you're right." i sigh.

"i know i'm right. i've been in this position before mike. i know how this works." she says.

"ight." i reply. she throws me a fake smile then walks away.

zeke appears beside me.

"hey man." zeke says.

"hey. i never asked how your vacation was." i say.

"it was good. sorry i missed all those games and practices." zeke sighs.

"hey, man i'm cool about it. i know you needed that shit for real." i shrug.

"ight." he nods his head

"you should be a little more worried about coaches' reaction. since you did so well against kharvis, he's been wanting to start you." i say.

"for real?" zeke asks excitedly.

"yea. for real." i reply.

"ight. i'll try my best to get my shit together." zeke says.

"good. we're gonna need you when we play wakeland tomorrow. they're ranked 5th in the state." i say.

"yea. i know. but we're going to do them like we did BA." zeke smiles.

"oh for sure." i smile. leo walks up to us with gabrielle.

"hey guys." gabrielle smiles.

"hey." i reply.