The Mission Begins

The flight back to Beacon from Vale was uneventful, to say the least. The pain in my left eye had hardly subsided, but I have no regrets.

Roman got what he deserved.

Although, from a tactical perspective, I had made the wrong choice. Tsukuyomi was, of course, on of the three techniques provided by my Mangekyou Sharingan. This meant that its power was increased many times over compared to my regular Sharingan Genjutsu.

But all power comes at a cost.

I may be fine now, but If I use one more Mangekyou Technique, I know that my vision will be irreparable damaged. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal. Most threats in this world didn't require the use of my evolved dojutsu. But my illness was worsening. Everyday I could feel a tiny sliver of my strength leave me. It wasn't very noticeable now, but I am growing weaker.

I need to accomplish my goals before it is too late.

But that wasn't all that was on my mind.

At first, killing Salem had been my only goal. To rid the world of such darkness, to prevent further cataclysm from ensuing, even if it meant dying in the process. Everything else was an after thought.

But now?

I don't want to die.

I have a family. I have friends. I have people who I care about. I want to watch Ruby become the Worlds Greatest Huntress. I want to see Yang truly find herself. Hell, I want to witness Blake bringing equality to humans and Faunus. I want to watch Weiss become her own person, free from her family's influence. I want to watch them grow up. I want to grow up with them. To make memories. To have fun. To go down the road of life without the constant threat of death at every turn.

I don't want to die.

And that scares me.

I know I don't have much longer left. I can lie to myself and the others all I want. But even if I kill Salem, I won't be there to celebrate the world I would have saved. I would have to watch as Ruby clung to me, in a hospital, dying from sickness. I would have to tell her that I wouldn't be there when she was feeling down. That I wouldn't be there to dry her tears. That I wouldn't be there when she needed me most.

That I would abandon her.

I could imagine the cries of my teammates as my heart monitor fell flat, signaling my passing from this world into the next. Never to see them again, every memory, every feeling, every shred of love or happiness taken from me and never returned.

It wasn't that I didn't believe in the after life. I believed, like many shinobi, that the Sage of Six Paths watched over all things. The god of shinobi, and founder of Ninshu.

It wasn't that I didn't believe, it was that I wouldn't be going to the Pure Lands.

Hell was all that awaited me.

And I had long sense accepted that fate. That I would suffer for the rest of eternity. I would die 1000 times if it meant Sasuke was okay. I knew that nothing was left for me, and that was okay.

But now? I wanted to live, and when I did die, I wanted to see my family and friends again in the afterlife, both of them. I wanted to spar with Shisui, Blake, and Weiss. I wanted to play games with Sasuke, Ruby, and Yang. I wanted to help cook dinners with Mikoto and Summer.

I just wanted to be with them.

Why did life have to be so cruel? Why did life have to result in death? Why couldn't I just live in peace?