Duelist Identity Part 2

"Whoa, Mai's really got Yugi on the ropes. She's brought him to down to 300 life points and she hasn't lost any.", Joey.

*(!) Yugi is cornered and he has no idea what to do, and he still refuses Yami's help.

Hey, Herald, is there anything to do from here?

I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can see that we can do at this point. I fear he will hold back forever if nothing is done within himself.

Well easier said than done since he's being so stubborn... Well, if push comes to shove, then I'll have no choice but to... reveal myself. (!)*

"What's the problem, Yugi?", Tristan. "Mai is, she's gone and put aside all of her silly card tricks and played this duel flawlessly.", Tea. "Who would've thought she was this good. Could it be that it was sheer dumb luck that I beat her before.", Joey.

"It wasn't luck Joey, I lost that duel to you because you knew something I didn't.", Mai.

"Huh?", all of the group.

"I learned more from that duel than any other I've ever played. It's true, Joey, I learned a lesson from you that day and never really wanted to learn. I didn't know it then, but it would change me and the way I looked at dueling. I had to take a hard look at myself and admit the reason that I relied on tricks was because I was afraid. Afraid to trust in my own abilities, afraid to trust in myself. Like you trusted in yourself, Joey. And facing up to that wasn't easy, believe me.", Mai.

"You've really changed, Mai.", Yami.

"Joey, do you know how you made it all the way to the final round of this tournament?", Mai.

"Huh. Heck yeah I do. I made it this far because I got my friend's Yugi, and Tristan, and Tea, and Bakura behind me. Cheering me on and tellin' me I can go on all the way.", Joey.

"That's true. That's very true, your friends were with you all the way. But you also have the guts to look inside and face up to what you saw there. You looked your demons in the eye and dealt with them.", Mai.

"Ah..", Yami.

"And that's a lesson everyone should learn.", Mai.

"I did that?", Joey.

"That's right. In that game, you taught me that a duelist can learn more from her defeats than from her victories. You taught me to face up to my fears, not just try to bottle them up.", Mai

*(!) I can feel something different from Yugi... (!)*

"So Yugi, have you faced up to your fears? Whatever freaked you out in your battle with Kaiba, have you come to grips with it?", Mai.

*(!) I'm not sure, but I think hearing her words struck a chord in him this time. And strangely enough, me as well.

How do you mean?

About me able to control my powers and able to do both with light and darkness. Now I truly see what my dragons meant by using my full potential. (!)*

"Mai, thanks for reminding me that a true duelist faces his problems. You're right, I was holding back. But not any longer.", Yami.

*(!) Herald, there united again!

Yes, and now will see if things are in our favor again.

Although I'm surprised Pegasus hasn't sensed me yet in Yugi's mind, nor has Yugi himself.

I wouldn't count on it for too long. Unless you back out now, soon either one will sense you and it will alert the other of your presence.

What do you mean?