chapter 25: a new job

Both Liam and I were working very hard to find a job. And as we thought it was easier said than done.

     And to make it harder we still had school. But even that was a terrible experience now. Our school was super expensive so we couldn't afford it anymore. But since I got in on a scholarship I could still attend it.

     Liam on the other other hand was attending a public school only 30 minutes away from our apartment. On the other hand, I had to walk for 2 hours to get to school.

     Until Liam and I get jobs we couldn't afford a car. So I had to leave way too quickly.

     The first week after the incident was terrible. Even after coming to school, I would have no energy to study. And going home was another 2 hours. And even worse than walking wAs that Emma and Jack. For some reason, they were now Always throwing parties. And would say that I couldn't attend. But I could care less

     When the first week finally ended I was so happy. I woke up that Saturday with a huge smile on my face. I checked the clock. It read 10:35 am. It was the first time in ages that I didn't have to wake up at 4 am. And it felt amazing.

     Even though my school experience was terrible Liam wasn't having too much of a hard time. Of course, everyone heard the news but only a couple of kids bothered him.

     Liam woke up that day looking annoyed. "So I have 3 interviews today." He said. He looked like he wasn't in the mood for the interview.

"I have 4 interviews. And the first one it in 2 hours." I said half sleepy. "Exactly at 11:30 am" Liam looked shocked. "Since when do you not know how to do math." He said. "You have less than one hour. Not two"

     "Wait what!" I was now wide awake. Omg. He was right. I rushed to the one bathroom in the entire house to take a shower and by the time I was ready it was 11:15 am. I was gonna be late. I didn't even stop to tell anyone I was going. The interview was 30 minutes away. It was in a huge company near Liam's school. I was applying to be an accountant there.

     I was running all the way there. And when I arrived it was 11:32 am. I checked with the receptionist "miss your late. I'm sorry but your interview has been cancelled." She said

     Just than a man with black hair and brown eyes came and said "you must be miss Mia, Watson. The boss is asking for you"

     As I entered the interview they all scanned me from top to bottom. "Miss Watson. We received knowledge that you are 15 years and still in school. And your dad has been accused of smuggling drugs" the man in the middle said. I was about to correct him but then he said "but taking to account your amazing grades and the fact that you know all about accounting we've decided to give you the job. But it's mainly because my father knew your dad And he was A good man. And you deserve a chance. Don't waste it like your father"

     I was mad but also happy. I got a job but they think my dad was a bad person.

     In the end, I just told myself that it didn't matter and I went home. I was in my neighbourhood street when I decided to text my adopted father

Hey, dad I just got a great job. And I've thought about your generous offer but you guys need the money. I hope you all are doing fine

     Then I closed my phone and instead of going home, I decided to go for a walk. I walked around my neighbourhood for hours lost in thought. I was just passing by the park when I saw a small girl with blond hair crying on a bench.

      I walked up to the girl and realized something immediately. She was lost. Her parents were nowhere around here. And now that I was was looking around. No one was anywhere around me. "Hey there... What's your name? Are you ok?" The girl immediately stopped crying and said "I'm Katie. And I......I ran away because... Because my brother's friends were at home and they were turning off all the lights and I have Ach...achluophobia. And now I can't find my way back" I was so shocked. This girl who looked like she was only 8 decided to run away.

     The girl looked very shy and she reminded me of someone so I asked "Katie what's your surname?" She looked surprised but said "Johnson. I'm Katie Johnson. Why?" I was over the moon. Her brother was a boy in my school called Henry Johnson. And he lived, according to what I remember just a couple of streets away.

     I took Katie's hand and started walking to where I thought Henry lived. And to my shock, I saw the entire family standing outside as all of Henry's friends left. And Henry himself looked furious.

     As soon as Katie saw them she ran away. I was about to walk away when I heard Henry shout "Mia... Wait up. Come join us for lunch." I looked around to see little Katie wavy at me so I agreed to join them for lunch.

     Henry was from a very rich family. Although they weren't as rich as people like Jack he had a huge house. Over lunch, everyone couldn't stop thanking me.

     Turned out Henry was busy finding the materiAls for their project when his friends decided it would be funny to shut off the main switch.

     After lunch, I thanked the Johnson family and was about to head home when henry decided to drop me off.

     Midway through the ride, Henry said "I know your dad didn't do any of the things people are saying. It must be a hard time for you. If you need any help feel free to ask us. I could never repay you for finding my sister." I was very happy to think someone thought my dad was innocent but I was still feeling a bit down. Henry dropped me at my new home. I was expecting him to make faces but instead, he just smiled and drove off.

     As I Sat down after coming inside Liam gave me some great news. He got a job as a receptionist at the local supermarket. And 2 hours later when mom came back from her shift at the restaurant she now worked in we told her the great news and she was overjoyed. Maybe things won't be so bad after all.