chapter 20: double date

I woke up the next morning feeling very refreshed. As soon as I got up from bed I brushed my teeth and changed. After I was done it was time for breakfast. While walking downstairs I saw Liam in the library. He seemed to have been very focused. So although I was curious I didn't bother him. In the dining room, mom and dad were rapidly talking on their phones. They were very busy these days. And to my utter relief, I was now getting used to calling Mr Watson my dad.

     When my parents finally ended their calls they called one of the maids and told her to get Liam.

     Minutes later Liam was coming downstairs with a tired expression on his face. He looked like he hadn't slept all night. That's when I realized why. He must have been studying the entire night. I must not have noticed last night because I was so tired.

     As we all sat down Liam yawned and both mom and dad looked at him "Liam did you stay up all night sweetheart" mom asked. Liam was so tired that all he could do was nod. "Are you sure you don't want us to hire a tutor"

"si papà"

"but Liam it will help you learn"

"I don't want that teacher. dad please, I'm learning just fine by myself"

    "I can teach Liam Italian," I said and both my parents looked at me. Liam looked relieved. "Millie Grazie, do you mean that," Liam said. I nodded And my parents were both delighted. "Do you have time right now? I need to learn before the test on martedì, Tuesday." Liam asked. "Si"
I replied.

     Just then breakfast arrived and all the talking stopped. And out of nowhere dad got a call. He looked stressed. "Really...ok ill be there in a couple of minutes" and just like that dad left without even touching the food.

     After breakfast, I went to the library with Liam and began to teach him. And after one hour of studying Liam knew the basics so we decided to stop for the day. Liam was a fast learner as I had noticed so I hopefully won't regret my decision to teach him.

      once I put back the books Liam and I took, I went to my room and stayed there reading my books and studying till lunchtime. As I headed downstairs Liam caught up with me and said "do you know there was a robbery at dads company. over a million dollars worth of stuff were stolen" Liam was scrolling through his phone. wait! what! This was news to me. "It's all over the news" Liam continued. "Really? Is dad around?" I said. No wonder dad seemed so scared.

     Both of us walked downstairs to see mom looking rather calm. "Oh good, you're here. I'm sure you've heard about the robbery. It's fine don't worry. Everything is under control. Your father won't be home for a while though" she said as she saw us.

     As Liam and I sat down Liam asked "was the robber caught" at this mom drowned slightly and shook her head. Then our cook arrived with our food and said "miss. I'm afraid I can't work here anymore. My son is sick and I can't afford to live here. I'm moving back to my home town in Canada." Mom looked disappointed but smiled and said "ok but I want to make sure you can live comfortably till you find a job. I'll transfer ten thousand dollars to your account by tomorrow morning. I just wish I could financially help you here but all our savings are going towards paying the huge loan my husband took. But that won't stop me from giving you that ten thousand dollars." the cook looked shocked and said "no miss that won't be necessary" but of course, mom wouldn't take no for an answer.

     There were beef sandwiches, steak, chocolate cake and fruit cocktails for lunch and everything was delicious. I was going to miss the cook. But there was nothing I could do to make her change her mind. And since the cook was taking care of her son alone and could only Afford medication if she didn't have to pay rent she had to move back"