Liar Liar

The Ever After High cheerhexing squad, composed mostly of fairies, had gathered near the croquet field, since the athletic field was still covered by the lines for the BookBall game.

The cheerhexers wore matching Ever After High uniforms and carried pom-poms. As quickly as possible, Duchess ducked behind one of the equipment sheds and transformed. Then she flew over a fence and landed in the middle of the flamingo pen.

The flamingos belonged to Lizzie. As captain of Ever After High’s croquet team, Lizzie insisted on playing the Wonderland version of the game.

This meant that ordinary wooden mallets were replaced by flamingos, and traditional croquet balls were replaced by rolled-up hedgehogs. No one got hurt in the process. The critters seemed to love the game as much as Lizzie.

Because it was naptime, each of the flamingos stood perched on one leg, beak tucked beneath wing. There was no way for Duchess to blend in. She was as white as snow, while the flamingos were as pink as cotton candy.

Also, Duchess’s swan legs weren’t as long as the flamingos’, but her ballet training helped her to hold passé as long as she needed. None of the cheerhexers noticed the out-of-place swan. But they probably wouldn’t have noticed a dragon, either, because they were too busy arguing.

“Why do I always have to be in the back row?”

“Stop stepping on my feet!”

“How come her pom-poms are bigger than my pom-poms?”

“Why do I have to be stuck next to her?”

Faybelle: Listen up!

Faybelle stepped onto a bench and stood with her hands on her hips.

Faybelle: As head cheerhexer, I’m calling an emergency meeting.

Cheerhexer: Emergency?

The girls dropped their pom-poms.

Duchess cocked her head, trying to catch every word, but the closest flamingo had started snoring. As gracefully as possible, so as not to attract attention, Duchess moved to a spot next to a different flamingo. The cheerhexers remained focused on their leader.

Faybelle: Did you see that pathetic display in the Castleteria yesterday?

Her wings twitched.

Faybelle: I’m the only student in General Villainy who deserves the A grade and the title of Next Top Villain. Sparrow doesn’t care. Ginger’s too sugary sweet. Lizzie can’t even fake a temper tantrum. Duchess doesn’t have a single drop of evil in her bloodline, and Raven…

She paused. Then her face flushed red, and her wings stiffened.

Faybelle: Raven Queen is single-handedly ruining the reputations of evildoers everywhere! What’s her problem? Who wouldn’t want to be evil? Who?

One of the cheerhexers started to raise her hand, but after a sharp glance from Faybelle, she dropped her arm to her side and stepped to the back of the group.

Faybelle: Even that stupid Ozzian is still in the running and he might be more sick in the head than he let's on!

You lifted your head from the book you were reading in the bleachers.

Faybelle cleared her throat. Her wings relaxed.

Faybelle: As you know, I intend to become the vilest, meanest, wickedest Ever After High student ever. And I’m going to start my long evil career by acing this thronework assignment.

Cheerhexer: What are you going to do? A magical cheer?

Cheerhexer: We’re not supposed to do magical cheers.