Play Ball!

BIG TO THE SMALL

IT GROWS ON ALL

SMALL TO THE BIG

ONE THREAD OF A WIG

UNWANTED AND PLUCKED

IT DROPS IN THE MUCK

THE BEANSTALK WAS A COLOR OF GREEN

This made you wish for sunglasses: so green it almost sparkled. And so alive it never stopped growing. Yoj could actually see the stem (thick as a hundred tree trunks) slowly twisting, the enormous, broad leaves almost imperceptibly lengthening from the stem, uncurling themselves, and turning toward the sun.

A kind of whispery noise emanated from it, the sounds of growth, but it seemed to you that the Beanstalk was quietly singing to itself.

Y/N: One thread of a wig…

You repeated this to yourself. It had to be a hair. A big hair. The hair of a giant. And the surest place to find a giant was at the top of the Beanstalk.

Only when you were near enough to touch the lower leaves did you notice the makeshift barricade surrounding the Beanstalk’s base. Two ogres sat in folding chairs in the shade of a tent-sized leaf, quietly munching from bags that read: Potato Chips: Giant Size.

You started to pull back one of the barricades.

Male Ogre: Nope.

Female Orge: Yep, nope.

Y/N: I’m sorry?

What was going on here?

Both ogres began to stumble over themselves in an attempt to explain.

Male Orge: They gotta thing up there…

Female Orge: There’s this stuff…

Male Orge: Jumpin’ and sum other…

Female Orge: But it’s a list you got…

???: Enough!

You looked for the source of the voice. A bright green sprite stood on a Beanstalk leaf perfectly camouflaged. Her hair, wings, and stylish motorcycle boots were all the same color of green.

Y/N: Oh, thank the book. Someone who can hel...

Sprite: I’ll stop you right there.

The sprite hovered directly in front of your face. Her eyes were glowing green.

Sprite: Don’t try any flattertalk. Just go away.

Male Orge: Ah, c’mon, Amy. Why you gotta be so mean?

Amy: You!

The sprite darted straight to the ogre.

Amy: Shut it!

The ogre bowed his head.

You took a breath.

Y/N: Hello, Amy, is it? My name is Y/N Ozymandias. Would you be so kind as to tell me why the Beanstalk is closed?

Amy hefted the tiny MirrorPad in her hand.

Amy: Sporting event up there. And you’re not on the list. There are rules, you know.

You groaned. You respected rules. Rules existed to keep everything going in the right order, on track, safely and securely, with as little uncertainty as possible. But here rules were stopping you from trying to get everything back on track.

Your mind raced. You had read a book two years ago, The Dust Trade During the Age of Djinn, detailing the historical economics of trade between magical creatures.