defended

"Ten o'clock Saturday morning, Potter. My office."

"But sir..." said Y/N, looking up desperately.

"Quidditch ... the last match of the..."

"Ten o'clock," whispered Snape, with a smile that showed his yellow teeth. "Poor Gryffindor ... fourth place this year, I fear ..."

And he left the bathroom without another word, leaving Y/N to stare into the cracked mirror, feeling sicker, he was sure, than Ron had ever felt in his life.

"I won't say I told you so," said Ginny, an hour later in the common room.

"Leave it, Ginny," said Ron angrily.

"Yes, Ginny, leave him alone. Don't worry Y/N, you didn't know what the spell did."Harry told him reassuringly. Hermione however didn't say anything, she was looking at Y/N unfocused, she seemed thoughtful.

Y/N had never made it to dinner; he had no appetite at all. He had just finished telling Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ginny what had happened, not that there seemed to have been much need. The news had traveled very fast: Apparently Moaning Myrtle had taken it upon herself to pop up in every bathroom in the castle to tell the story; Malfoy had already been visited in the hospital wing by Pansy Parkinson, who had lost no time in vilifying Y/N far and wide, and Snape had told the staff precisely what had happened. Y/N had already been called out of the common room to endure fifteen highly unpleasant minutes in the company of Professor McGonagall, who had told him he was lucky not to have been expelled and that she supported wholeheartedly Snape's punishment of detention every Saturday until the end of term.

"I told you there was something wrong with that Prince person," Ginny said, evidently unable to stop herself. "And I was right, wasn't I?"

"No, I don't think you were," said Y/N stubbornly.

He was having a bad enough time without Ginny lecturing him; the looks on the Gryffindor team's faces when he had told them he would not be able to play on Saturday had been the worst punishment of all. He could feel Hermione's eyes on him now but did not meet them; he did not want to see disappointment or anger there.

"Y/N," said Ginny, "how can you still stick up for that book when that spell -"

"Will you stop harping on about the book!" snapped Y/N. "The Prince only copied it out! It's not like he was advising anyone to use it! For all we know, he was making a note of something that had been used against him!"

"I don't believe this," said Ginny. "You're actually defending-"

"I'm not defending what I did!" said Y/N quickly. "I wish I hadn't done it, and not just because I've got about a dozen detentions. You know I wouldn't've used a spell like that, not even on Malfoy, but you can't blame the Prince, he hadn't written try this out, it's really good'- he was just making notes for himself, wasn't he, not for anyone else...."

"Are you telling me," said Ginny, "that you're going to go back-?"

"And get the book? Yeah, I am," said Y/N forcefully. "Listen, without the Prince I'd never have won the Felix Felicis. I'd never have known how to save you brother from poisoning, I'd never have-"

"-got a reputation for Potions brilliance you don't deserve," said Ginny nastily.

"Give it a rest, Ginny!" said Hermione, and Y/N was so amazed, so grateful, he looked up. "By the sound of it, Malfoy was trying to use an Unforgivable Curse, you should be glad Y/N had something good up his sleeve!"

"Well, of course I'm glad Y/N wasn't cursed!" said Ginny, clearly stung. "But you can't call that Sectumsempra spell good, Hermione, look where it's landed him! Also, some books-"