Ch. 2: Life as a Landlady/The News

Thirteen years pass. Now it's 2004. You're twenty years old now and you're out on your own. You're an independent woman. But seeing that your mom is the spoiled rotten, snotty, egotistical and rich type of woman that loves only you more than herself, she and your father bought out an entire apartment complex for you. You live in one of the top floors. 

Your mom said to live in the top because you were born 'at the top' among your friends in school with you being the richest kid in Cleveland

Your mom said to live in the top because you were born 'at the top' among your friends in school with you being the richest kid in Cleveland. You agreed with it. You knew how your mom was. She wanted you to live like a queen and own as many things as possible. Designer clothes, shoes, the apartment complex you live in, etc. 

It's like you were the landlady of that place as well. And that's what you are now in fact. A landlady who owns it and lives at one of the top apartments and others who live in theirs rent it out. 

You had the privilege to evict anyone who refuses to pay their rent or trashes their place to the point of eviction. You may not be as spoiled as your mom is, but you did care about cleaner places, seeing that you grew up in a wealthy and clean environment.

But you love your mom, no matter what. At least she was good to you. Just nobody else. You're the only one she gave a crap about. Sure, she loved your dad, just not as much as she loved you. Anything you wished for, she'd get it for you. People live in their apartments in that building and you own it since you're rich. The apartment is decent.

You're in your living room right now and you're sitting on the couch. You've got your radio on. It's playing This Love by Maroon 5. You took a liking to it. New song. You listen to it and you say, "Reminds me that I'll never find love. Then again, I never liked guys." 

It was true. When you were fifteen, you came out to your parents as a lesbian and they supported you. Your mom told you that you made a wise decision to become a lesbian. She knew herself from her own experience before she met your dad that men are pigs. 

You had even briefly had a crush on your best friend Melony Summers in school. But she showed her true colors after finding out and she said some hurtful things to you. She said this, "Eww. Gross. Stay away, carpet muncher." or "I don't want to be friends with some dyke." And so on. 

It hurt you to see that this was how Melony really was. Your mom found out after you went to her and told her and this infuriated her. She told Melony never to come near you again. And she also wasn't welcome in their mansion. 

She told her that anybody that discriminates against her baby is NOT allowed near you. You haven't spoken to Melony since high school. Probably for the best if she's homophobic and a real bigot. 

You're happy that you've got supportive parents. They had your back. Plus, Melony was fired from a recent job after discriminating against a gay man at work. Saying some awful things to him. Good riddance. You were glad you weren't friends with her anymore and the boss at the place apologized to the man for hiring someone like her in the first place.

You're watching TV. The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy is on and you love it. You found it to be one of the greatest cartoons to exist on Cartoon Network. You're laughing as you watch it and you say, "This is so funny. I swear that Billy kid sounds like Zim from Invader Zim and Dagget from Angry Beavers." (A decade in a half later, also being Moxie from Helluva Boss.)

After watching that, you change channels and you get it on the news. Something catches your interest. The news reporter says, "This is Yuka Tanaka bringing you an interesting story today. A new topic. As you can see, I'm standing right outside the now abandoned Playtime Co factory. The most loved toys were made in this factory from the 1960s to the mid 1990s. Poppy Playtime being the start." 

You say, "Oh my god. Playtime Co. Too bad it was left to rot for five years. I loved Mommy Long Legs. Good thing I still have mine." The reporter Yuka says, "Many have been saying that they would hear strange noises coming from the abandoned factory. Some have even broken in and they have come across quite a few what you would call... freaky things. Giant toys attacking them and trying to murder them. We have with us a young civilian who has seen it for himself..." 

They cut to a young guy with a Limp Bizkit shirt on and Yuka says, "Young man. You were in that factory yourself. The abandoned Playtime Co. What all did you see while you were in there?" The guy says, "I went in there 'cause I wanted to relive my childhood and see Huggy Wuggy again. Dude was my favorite toy. But then there was this giant deranged Mommy Long Legs chick chasing me. It's like she was trying to pull me back and eat me. I ran out of there as fast as I could." 

You say, "Mommy Long Legs is real? My god." Yuka faces the camera and says, "As you see here, this is a witness of all that's been happening in that factory. And just a young man, too. Luckily, he's here and he's safe and sound. It makes us wonder though... What happened to those who didn't make it out? Until further notice, I would suggest that nobody is to go in there under any circumstance." 

You turn the TV off and you say, "Makes me wonder if any other toy in there is alive besides Mommy Long Legs. Huggy Wuggy. Kissy Missy... Poppy herself. But Mommy Long Legs... I loved her so much. I'm lucky to have a mom that loved me enough to call the cops on a kid who stole my Mommy doll and bring it back to me. Linda Bradley did it. She was always jealous of my wealthy life. She snatched Mommy Long Legs from me and ran off with it, leaving me crying. I told my mom and she was angry. Good thing I got Mommy Long Legs back... And my mom ordered the school to suspend Linda for over a month or they'd be sued. Mom really did care about my well being."

You get up and you say, "I know the news reporter said not to go there, but something tells me to. I have to see all of this for myself. An eye witness. Even if Mommy Long Legs tries to kill me, I'll still try and see her. Call it crazy... but something is drawing me closer to her. To see her. My childhood toy as a living being." You grab your car keys and you say, "Mommy Long Legs... Here I come." You head out of your apartment and to the factory.