Chapter Eight

After making sure that his mask and cloak were safely tucked away in his Enderchest, Xavon exited the Emporium and took to the sky. An overwhelming satisfaction rushed through him as the wind rushed by his skin, and he wondered how long it would be until he could use his real wings. This time though, he didn't let himself get distracted and went straight over Bdubs's mountain to the Big Eyes' District. It only took two minutes, and when he approached he immediately saw the hermits on the other side of a building in one of the alleys. He glided down and landed next to Xisuma, who was talking to Scar.

"Hi Xavon." Scar said, smiling widely. He always seemed to be in a good mood. Xisuma turned to see him.

"Oh hi Xavvy, I didn't hear you arrive." Xisuma said. Xavon couldn't help but notice that he looked tired.

"Hello." He replied.

"You know, I don't think I've ever really spoken to you before." Scar said thoughtfully.

"Maybe not." Xavon replied, glancing round the group without looking. Stress, Doc, Ren and Grian were yet to arrive, but everyone else was already there. He saw Pearl glancing at him, but when he turned his head to her, she was busy talking to Iskall, Etho and False. He narrowed his eyes, but was pulled out of the confusion by a yell and he spun around to see what was happening.

"AAaAaah," Scar reacted, before turning around sharply to see the culprit. "Grian don't do that!" The blond hermit stood next to Scar after sneaking up on him. He was laughing.

"Sorry, I couldn't resist." He said. Doc and Ren also landed among the commotion, and Stress was approaching. "Anyway, how is everyone?"

"Not too bad." Xisuma replied.

"Fine until you gave me a heart attack." Scar said. Grian glanced at Xavon expectantly.

"Good." He said.

"Good good." Grian replied to the three of them. The others began talking about whether Boatem was going to start a war, and Xavon caught the eye of a shadow. He stared at it for a few seconds, observing its frequency, before:

"TAG!" Bdubs yelled, before running. The hermits scattered and he did the same. Tango was left standing for a second before deciding who to pursue and following them. The demon ran up the alley, catching sight of Gem and Mumbo. Xavon hid behind a building, with three possible escape routes planned. Doc turned a corner and stood next to him, his back against the stone. Xavon ventured to glance around the corner, and saw Mumbo chasing Joe in their direction, and Jevin running past behind them.

"Go!" He said to Doc, and they ran through the building and out the other side. Mumbo and Joe ran past the window, and they vaguely heard Mumbo call "no tagbacks!". The pair ran around for a while before they found Cleo hidden behind some barrels.

"Can we join?" Doc whispered.

"No, find your own hiding place!" She whisper-yelled back.

"Oh come on!" Doc said, as Xavon left. He ran for a few seconds before going inside a building and coming out onto a balcony. He saw a back exit, and knelt down by the window. Hermits ran past every now and then, but he decided not to look. After a few minutes of getting his breath back, the door opened and Impulse entered, looking around rapidly. When his eyes landed on Xavon he immediately ran forwards, and Xavon concluded that he was it, before running.

His legs carried him quickly and he silently yelled for them to move faster, and he turned left, then left again and ran past Doc and Cleo, who were still bickering. Impulse tagged Doc behind him and he escaped. He saw Ren and Keralis ahead, and Scar and Etho heading towards the ocean. He stopped as a shadow caught his eye, before someone ran past him and took his hand. They ran together and he turned to see Xisuma.