Chapter 34

When Naruto was finally released from the station, he was ready to bash his head off a wall. Spending four hours in a precinct, two hours of which spent sitting in front of a desk, with an officer that makes the Uchihas look overly emotional, is enough to kill his soul.

During the first two hours he sat in front of a desk with an officer who asked a whole two questions, "do you have a history with violence?" And "Why did you attack Kiba Inuzuka?" The rest of the time, the bald portly officer sat there staring at his computer monitor, finger typing a million miles an hour.

Now, Naruto knew there are people with exceptionally fast typing skills, but something about this officer was off. After observing the officer's mindless key mashing, he was positive the officer was doing that thing kids do, where they try to pretend to type something but it's utter gibberish. Dying a little more inside, Naruto figured he was at least lucky to get the most clueless officer in the precinct, he seemed to have no idea who he was.

The last two hours were just as irritating, though not for the same reasons. The blond finally had a competent officer, only problem was it was the same officer he ditched the night his house was destroyed. Regardless of radiating an aura of disappointment, officer Gekko was nothing but cordial. The man went through his list of questions before taking the blond's recount of events. Naruto found it odd that neither officer mentioned Minato, but tried to place that fact in the back of his mind for now, it made him feel too uneasy to think about.

With no current charges being laid against the blond, he was finally free to go. It was around 6pm when he finally walked out into the cold November air. The night air wasn't as calm and soothing as Naruto usually found it, he chalked it up to an overly stressful day.

Pulling out his phone he notes the missed calls and texts from Sasuke but before he gets a chance to reply a matt grey Audi honks at him. Looking over at the offensive vehicle, he raises an eyebrow, unable to see through the heavily tinted windows. The driver finally realises and opens the window. Yet another thing Naruto would never expect.

The driver shouts through the window, "get in Uzumaki, we need to have a chat."

Naruto looks at the teen phlegmatically. "Now, why would I do that Hyuga?"

Rolling his eyes, Neji huffs, "just get in the fucking car, I've been waiting for two hours. Don't be difficult."

'What else could possibly go wrong?' Naruto mentally snorts at himself, he must be a sucker for punishment.

"Fine." Naruto strolls over to the car, hops in the passenger seat and buckles himself in.

Neji pulls out of KPD, "you like BJ's?"

Naruto whips his head around. "Excuse me?!"

Neji shakes his head with a snort, "the burger joint down by the billiards on 4th."

The blond instantly relaxes, he would have laughed, but not in the presence of the Hyuga. "Oh...never eaten there before. Why?"

"I'm taking you there." Neji states as if it were the most normal thing ever.

"Um, why?" Naruto was starting to think there was something in the air. Neji was being far too casual for bitter enemies.

Neji sighs heavily. "Because we need to talk, and I'm hungry."

Naruto didn't respond, instead he just gave a slight nod before turning his head to watch the night life pass by. This was certainly not something he foresaw happening. Never once had he ever desired to be alone in a close quarters situation with the pale eyed teen.

The remainder of the ride was quiet, but Naruto could sense something akin to fear coming from the Hyuga, it made the blond smirk. Neji was never one to yield, their last couple altercations proved so. After today's incident, something changed, Naruto knew the teens fear was warranted, he was even scared of himself now.