Leaving Her Behind

(Y/N) POV

"Then we stumbled upon (Y/N) and Cassy," James finishes explaining their story at the dinner table.

"And you also took care of the guards correct?" Rosie asks me

"Yes," I mutter.

"So...they all are gone?" She asks unsure as I nod

"The ones nearby at least...I hear they were part of a bigger organization," I say as she nods

"Yes...I presume your gonna go after them as well?" She asks as I nod.

I catch Cassy give a slight smile at the gesture.

Rosie's face becomes much more relieved.

"Thank god...now we just need to get rid of that horrible theatre," she mutters as I smile.

"It's already burning," I say as she raises a brow

"I set up a fire before I left. It'll be burnt down by morning," I say as she giggles.

"You've thought of everything," she says as I frown

"Not quite," I mutter as they all looked at me confused.

"Someone will need to guard this place, it's full of children, something lots of bad people want their hands on," I begin

"You need someone for protection, if you were in a village that would be already be finished, but you out here alone," I say

"I can protect us," James says as I shake my head

"Your just a kid," I explain.

"As such, I think I'm going to leave Cassy here for the time being. I'll deal with the rest of their group and maybe even find some old soldiers or something. People who can fight," I says as Cassy's eyes widen.

"No!" She protests

"I think it's the best course, you may not be the best guard of this place, but you'll be better then nothing," I tell her straight forwardly.

"Surely there's a better way!" She asks as I shake my head, I wasn't expecting this much resistance.

"I think this is the best way," I tell her as she goes silent

"If you think it's best, then we would gladly house Cassy for you until you return," Rosie says as I nod

"Thank you, that's greatly appreciated," I say as I stand and head toward the door

"Where are you going!?" Cassy asks as she follows me.

"I'm getting started, word will get out that the guards are not responding, I need to strike before then...so time is important right now," I tell her as she gets angry

"So your gonna leave without saying goodbye?" She asks as I shrug.

"I didn't think it was gonna be a issue," I defend myself as she huffs.

"Whatever," she says storming back toward the table...what's her issue?

"I'll come back, might be a while," I say not wanting to leave of our current situation.

"Whatever, do your thing," she pouts as I hesitate to leave.

"Goodbye, cya," I say as I walk out the door and start my hike toward the city westward.

Cassy POV

I feel anger fuel up inside of me.

He just up and left me! Was that his plan all along? Find other people and drop me on their door steps!

I don't know why it's bugging me so much, that I was just someone for him to leave behind...why!?

It's because of the one tailed beast inside of me. He says it doesn't bother him but deep down it must be!

"Would you like me to show you to a room?" Rosie asks as I look her.

She must be able to tell I'm really mad.

"That'd be great," I say trying to smile...my frown didn't disappear even with my best efforts.

Rosie showed me a room. It has a single bed with a dresser across it.

"Thanks," I grumble out as she returns to the kids.

I sit on the bed as an annoying rage bottles inside me.

I'm just someone for him to throw out aren't I? I mean nothing to him...why does that make me feel so mad?

I should be happy that he finally left.

I lay down on the bed. It was a long day. We walked all day, plus it was my first time on an new normal bed since the cabin...sleep come surprisingly easily despite my anger.

When I awoke, I had two lumps attached to my side. It didn't take long for me to realize if was Rebecca and Jacob. All the rage I had felt from the previous day washed away as they snuggled atop my chest.

I felt heat build inside me. Not the heat from anger...but a warmth of some kind...it was different then anything else I've ever felt before.

What's this warmth? It feels like anger but it's not.

I hear the door open and look to see who's entering.

Rosie quietly looks inside and smiles.

"Your awake," she says as I nod.

"Awww, your cheeks are all flushed," she says as I notice the building heat in my cheeks.

"Am I sick?" I ask her worriedly as she chuckles.

"Your not sick...seems like these two are fond of you," she tells me.

"Why?" I ask her as she shrugs

"Maybe you remind them of their mother," she tells me as I feel the heat rise in temperature even more...what's wrong with me?

"You better not move, you wouldn't want to wake them would you?" She says with a smirk as she closes the door.

As such, I stayed in bed for another two hours before they woke up.