"What do I have to do to get you to leave her out of  this?" He asks instead.

Mr. Lockwood's arches an eyebrow in mock surprise, as he studies his evidently angry son with amusement.

"I see that you're finally learning the ropes of this business, I'm impressed. Go over to that cabinet and bring me the file in blue." He orders lazily, gesturing to a cabinet at the far right of the room.

Darren does as he is told, and brings the fairly light file to his father.

"Open it." Mr. Lockwood instructs.

Darren does so, and finds that it contains the profile of a man that looked to be in his late forties and is apparently a scientist.

"I want you to find that man, and get some very important information from him as soon and quietly as possible." Mr. Lockwood says with his gaze serious, proving that this job was of utmost importance to him.

"What kind of information?" Darren asks curiously.

"Turn the page."

Darren does and is met with a picture of an island, that looked oddly familiar. The name 'Mako' was written at the bottom of it, with a bunch of jargons that Darren was too stressed to comprehend right.

"You want me to get information about this island, do you intend to buy it?" Darren asks, trying to understand the nature of this job.

"I want you to get information about something that's on the island, and that only that man knows of it's precise location." Mr. Lockwood explains cryptically.

Darren furrows his eyebrows.
"So, you want me to retrieve lost Intel from this island, why don't I just go there directly instead of this whole rigmarole?" He asks.

Mr. Lockwood smiles, and reclines again in his chair.

"Trust me Darren, this is the fastest way to get what we need from that island. Mako is unlike any place on this planet, and you'd do well to tread cautiously on it." He warns as his voice drops an octave.

Darren doesn't know whether to be spooked or just brush off his father's behavior as a result of too much cigarettes.

"When I do this, do you guarantee Mirabelle's safety?" He asks seriously.

"Ahh confident I see, well son, if you pull this off in record time, then I'll consider your request. But for now focus all your attention on this mission, and in the meantime I won't touch a hair on your little girlfriends head." Mr. Lockwood says with a sinister expression.

Although that wasn't what Darren wanted to hear, it was better than an outright rejection. All he had to do was accomplish this task and the rest would follow, he hoped.

"Yes sir." He answers and turns to leave.

"And Darren," his father calls him once he's at the door. "You have four days, starting tomorrow. Don't f-k it up." He adds lowly.

"Understood sir." Darren nods and leaves the room.

End of flashback.

A lot was riding on this mission, and Darren was already beginning to lose his cool with the man they were interrogating/torturing for answers for more than twenty four hours now.

The man's name was Oliver Simpson, age 45, unemployed and divorced without kids for over fifteen years now. It wasn't that hard to find him thanks to his father's connections, but the man was being tight lipped about whatever it was that was on that island, and thus was becoming a thorn in Darren's flesh.