...The Storm

"I'll take two corn dogs please." Y/n asked the man that worked at the booth. The sun was setting and the lights at the zoo were going to be turning on any minute now. Y/n handed the man the cash and waited for the food as she glanced back to see Lily smiling at the flamingos.

After y/n had ranted to Bri about her parents and everything over at her house, she came back home and got ready to go to the zoo with her girlfriend. She threw on an old band t-shirt that she got at a thrift store and then put on some faded blue jeans since it would be a little cooler tonight. Which now led y/n left here to wait for her and Lily's food.

The man came back with the food and y/n thanked him before going towards Lily.

"Your food, my flower." Y/n said to Lily as she came up next to her. Lily turned her head and smiled widely, pecking y/n's cheek before taking one of the corn dogs.

"I always loved how graceful and vibrant flamingos are." Lily said out loud. Y/n was just silently observing the birds as she took a bite of her food.

"They are really cool." Y/n agreed as Lily linked her arm with y/n's and started to guide her in the direction of the lions. Y/n just listened as Lily went into detail about the nature of the big cats. Lily had been taking a university class about animals in the Savanna as a filler class. But it was evident that Lily enjoyed the class a lot as she learned so much about wildlife and animal's habits and instincts.

"Look!" Lily said as she started to drag y/n along faster, making the girl almost trip over her feet. But she was able to keep up and the two were now standing in front of where 3 lions were in their enclosure. There was a male and two females, all wandering around and doing nothing really. Y/n glanced over at Lily and smiled seeing her eyes sparkle at the sight in front of her.

"What's your favorite fact about lions?" Y/n asked her girlfriend as she watched the male lion yawn.

"That a lion's roar can be heard up to 80 kilometers away." Lily answered instantly. Y/n was impressed with how far that sound could travel. And she was also impressed with how quickly Lily answered her question.

"That's crazy." Y/n said simply as the two continued to look at the big cats. Movement in the corner of the enclosure caught their attention as a small door was lifted up to reveal fresh meat that looked like beef. Lily squeezed y/n's arm in excitement and y/n giggled at her girlfriend, pressing a kiss on the side of her head as they waited for the lions to react to their dinner being presented.

After a few moments, you could actually see when the lions caught a whiff of the meat. Their heads turned and they all were soon off to the meat. They tore it up with their teeth and even got a little feisty with one another since they didn't understand the concept of sharing.

"Cool." Lily muttered quietly as y/n looked over at her, just admiring her. As y/n was watching her girlfriend, the lights turned on all around them. The two girls gasped quietly and their eyes were bouncing all around them.

There were strings of light everywhere, all different colors. Then there were the 3D animal lights set up around, all of them being life size as well. Everything dazzled and it made the whole zoo come even more alive.

"This is beautiful." Y/n said softly as she looked around, appreciating all the hard work that must've gone into something like this.

"It's other-worldly." Lily whispered as the two now were even more excited to explore the rest of the zoo and see what other lights were waiting for them.

The two girls spent hours at the zoo, all the way up until midnight was near. Y/n was excited because she'd get to be with her girlfriend the second her birthday rolls around surrounded by insane lighting features. She couldn't imagine it any other way.