019

CHAPTER NINTEEN
Family

________________________________________________________________________________

-Abigail-

They stayed locked in that embrace for another few moments before Carlisle pulled away with a shaky breath. He leaned his forehead against hers and they stayed like that for a little while. She could tell he was trying to control himself even then and she loathed that she was the cause of it, so she lifted her hands to card through his hair, murmuring soft words of love and feeling the tension ease from his body. It was still there, but considering what he told her, she had a feeling that it would never ease, unless she was a vampire herself.

The thought almost made her gasp, but she held it back so he didn't alarm him. For a moment she was afraid, afraid of what something like that would mean. But she came up blank because that would mean she got to be with her friends and family—and most importantly, Carlisle—for all eternity. What was there to think about? Where was the bad? But she couldn't say that to Carlisle right then, she had a feeling he wouldn't take it all that great, and she didn't want him pushing away or getting upset with her. But she knew it's what she wanted.

I want to be a vampire.

"Are you okay?" she finally murmured and slowly he nodded, pulling back to look at her. Her fingers were still clutched in his hair and slowly she pulled them down, but his hand caught her wrist.

"Why do you do that?" he murmured. She frowned.

"Do you not like it?"

He shook his head vehemently. "No no, I do. I love it. It makes me so calm." That same flash was in and out of his eyes in a second. "But how did you know?"

She tilted her head to the side and softly shrugged. "I'm not sure," she admitted. "I just felt like that's what you needed. You were distressed and my body told me to try and calm you, make you happy and content, and I was doing it before I realized it." She paused. "Maybe it's the mating bond? Telling me that's what you need." He studied her some more as if seeing her for the first time, face full of wonder.

"I can't believe you feel all that," he murmured. "Humans never do."

"I'm special." She grinned.

He chuckled. "Well of course you are, darling."

"And I might have a slight obsession with your hair. It's so soft and silky." She hummed and ran her fingers through it some more before glancing at him, seeing his eyes closed in such a look of contentment she almost teared up again. "But mostly I want you calm and happy. I love your smile. I want to see it."

He smiled and she grinned happily as his eyes opened. "Perfect," she purred and leaned in to kiss him again.

The first person she spotted as she got downstairs was Emmett and she froze in her spot. She stopped so suddenly that Carlisle growled from behind her and yanked her behind him as if expecting danger, but she put her hand on his arm, the other hand going to his hair, and she nodded.

"It's okay," she murmured, though her hand slid down to his and gingerly she stepped towards the giant vampire. Despite his size, her new knowledge of his kind, and what happened earlier, she felt safe there. She was just intimidated because clearly he was upset with her and she had no clue why. Carlisle was right behind her so she squeezed his hand for comfort even as Emmett looked at her sheepishly with a deeply apologetic look across his boyish features. He stood and Abigail raised a hand to Carlisle's hair as he let out a small growl.