004

CHAPTER FOUR
Unexpected Visitors

________________________________________________________________________________

-January 2007-
-Abigail-

It was easier than expected to get her nursing position moved from Seattle General Hospital to Forks Community Hospital. Apparently Forks was understaffed in the ER department and Abigail had a lot of experience there, so they hired her on the spot and gave her a raise from what she had been making in Seattle. There was no question that she would take it, especially as she woke up the day after the wedding with a hangover and a headache like Charlie suspected, but also the clearest decision: she was going to stay in Forks. She invited Beth to stay rent-free (considering she didn't need to pay a mortgage on the house) and just pay half the utilities and groceries. It was a steal and her friend jumped on it, deciding she liked the small town after spending a week there with Abigail.

After five months of being there, Abigail had her routine down like an easy rhythm. Wake up at eight, shower and eat breakfast, out the door by eight forty-five, work until seven, back home for dinner and either a book or a movie, and then back to bed. It was easy and simple and just what she needed. The weekends were spent with Beth and Charlie, fixing up and renovating the house as there were some spots in dire need of some TLC and she had the money to work on it. She and Beth had started to do it themselves, but as soon as Charlie figured out what they were doing, he insisted on helping. Sue and Seth would come over to help and sometimes even Billy would, even though he couldn't help in the same way, they gave him some other jobs to do that he was perfect for.

It was so much fun and Abigail loved it, though she couldn't shake the sense that something was missing. She didn't even know what it was, even though subconsciously she was thinking Cullen. She knew that was silly, though. She didn't even know them, no matter what Alice had said after the wedding. People said stuff like that all the time just to be polite and so she chalked it up to that, even though she was disappointed. But she knew there were people with bigger problems, like Charlie who was worried about Bella when she didn't come home from her honeymoon on time because of an illness. She wished she could do something to help, but even Dr. Cullen—who she found out was the man she caught a glimpse of at the wedding, and Edward's father, a doctor at Forks Community—wasn't at work for her to ask. Apparently he had taken a sabbatical right after the wedding and she wondered why, but she couldn't dwell on it, even though she was sort of convinced the topaz eyes that saved her in her nightmares were his.

That's silly, you don't even know him, she complained to herself one day when she caught herself thinking of him. You saw him one time from a distance through a crowd of people. This isn't some old romance where lovers eyes "met across a crowded room," this is reality and you're being ridiculous. Love doesn't exist, much less love at first sight. So she forced herself to stop thinking about him.

 So she forced herself to stop thinking about him