017

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
Carlisle's Truth

________________________________________________________________________________

-Abigail-

They stayed together the whole night, though Carlisle did move them so they were more comfortable with him sitting against the headboard and her cradled in his lap. Since she had slept for so long, she wasn't tired, though she knew a full day at the hospital would change that. However, just as she suggested it, Carlisle let out a growl that had her immediately running her fingers through his hair in soothing strokes and she decided rather quickly that she would be calling out again that day. Plus she wasn't too thrilled about getting out of this bed let alone Carlisle's arms. And she didn't want to spend most of her day away from him, knowing how clingy that sounded and knowing she didn't care.

She had him.

He was hers.

He loved her as she loved him.

Her wildest dreams had come true.

He grabbed Jacob's phone from where he had left it on the table and handed it to her. She realized that hers was at home and his must've been far enough away that he didn't want to let her up to get it. The thought made her smile as she dialed in Forks Hospital's phone number.

"Forks Hospital, emergency department."

The voice on the line was definitely not Mackenzie and she pulled back in alarm. Dr. Jones. Her stomach clenched and her body trembled and she shook her head, seeing Carlisle's alarm grow.

"Hello, Dr. Jones." At least she didn't have to work to make her voice sound weak. Carlisle's eyes flashed dangerously.

"Abs!" She winced. She really hated that nickname. "I suppose you calling means you're not feeling well still?"

She shook her head. "No," she said simply.

"Well, maybe you should come in anyway, see a doctor. I can take a look—"

His words were cut off from Abigail's ear as Carlisle snatched the phone away and pressed it to his own. His eyes were black again. Wow, that happens quick, she thought as her fingers wound up into his hair.

"That won't be necessary, Dr. Jones," he said cooly into the phone. "Yes, this is Dr. Cullen. Abigail will be under my care. Please mark her and myself down as out for the rest of the week." Her eyes grew wide, ready to argue, but a look from Carlisle had her silenced. "Dr. Fitzgerald from the ICU should be able to cover my patients until I return. Thank you, Brett. Have a pleasant weekend." He sounded like he meant anything but, and he clicked off as soon as the words left his mouth. The phone was tossed away and he pressed his face to her neck. She could feel himself gathering his control and she ran soothing fingers through his hair.

When he finally looked up, his eyes still flashed, but they were ochre again, and he looked apologetic. "I'm sorry, sweetheart," he murmured. "I don't like that man. I've seen him touch you." His teeth gnashed. "I wish you didn't have to work around him."

"You and me both. He makes me uncomfortable."

His eyes flickered to hers and for a moment, she saw the danger in them. "Has he ever done anything or touched you in an inappropriate way?"

She shrugged and glanced away, but he turned her face back to him. "No, not exactly," she murmured. "I mean... I suppose most would consider it friendly or something. Touching my back, my hand..." Carlisle growled softly and fingers resumed their trek through his hair. "Nothing to be considered harassment, but it makes me uncomfortable."