1: Curious Meetings Indeed

Xiao had existed for a long time. Much longer than he let on when he was made to speak with mortals. He knew that he wasn't always good, and he wouldn't classify himself as such even now. He would be forever making up for his crimes, forever hunting down evil and vanquishing it. He would be forever alone. And he was contented with that.

But as the decades passed, he found himself lacking. He limped into the inn later each night, more injured each time, as he grew more reckless in his fights. When his master would visit, as rare as it was, he was scolded for his carelessness. Rex Lapis himself asking him if he was trying to die in the wilderness, leaving Liyue to its own devices. As he shook his head that night, he couldn't help but think that maybe Liyue didn't actually need him anymore. Maybe to die in the wilderness would be a blessing. As the world left the Adepti behind, Xiao slowly faded from himself.

It was in his contract, he was to protect Liyue until his death, or until released from the contract. As he fought a corrupted geovishap, dodging its blows with the ease of someone who had done this for centuries, he realized that perhaps he was lonely again. He had been so in the past, after the deaths of his fellow Yaksha. He had sought solace in the arms of caring mortals, taking their love, and ultimately their lives in his haze of desperate grieving loneliness. He knew how it would end. And he couldn't allow it to happen again.

So when the boy in the strange clothes had walked onto his balcony with a plate of his favorite food, and a request for him regarding the Adepti, while he was intrigued, he simply did as he had asked. If he thought of the boy later, wondering how a traveler had gotten involved with the matters of the Qixing and Adepti, if he wondered about his strange manner of speaking, or not speaking that is, and dress, no he didn't. Because he didn't think about the strange boy at all. Not his strangely powerful aura, nor his patient tone, nor anything else relating to him.

And he definitely did not ask Cloud Shaper for his name. Aether. A strange name as well.

After that first meeting, Aether came to 'visit' Xiao every so often, bringing new sweet foods that he discovered in different areas in Mondstat and Liyue. Xiao would be loathe to admit that he enjoyed the companionship that the blond traveler provided him with. He didn't ask him any questions, simply came to give him food and news about the goings-on in Teyvet. It was good. Easy.

Until that Harbinger that Rex Lapis had said wouldn't be a problem suddenly was one. Xiao was on the roof of the inn when he felt that something was off in the harbor. There had been something residing under the seas for as long as he had protected it, but it felt wrong now. Less restrained, less safe. Something must have gone terribly wrong. He made his way there as quickly as he could, whilst looking for Ganyu and the rest of the Adepti. He knew they were here as well, he was just unsure as to where. In his frantic appearing and disappearing through Liyue, he was spotted by Keching of the Liyue Qixing, and told that he was to make his way to the Jade Chamber.

A second later and he was there. If he was surprised to see the traveler there, he didn't let it show on his face, simply acknowledging Aether's tense smile and greeting of, "Xiao." They fought as hard and as long as they could, each of the Adepti granting Aether with their blessings to aid him. He was simply mortal after all, no matter his skills with a sword.

Xiao eventually aided him with as much speed as he could spare after watching him barely manage to dodge a blow. When the fight had nearly ended, the Tianquan herself couldn't hold the platform they were standing on any longer. As the floor began to shatter, Xiao grabbed millelith after millelith, only loocking over his shoulder once to watch as Aether fell with the shattered bits of platform.

He didn't even think, just dove off the edge of the Jade Chamber without a second thought. He kicked off pieces of rocks on his way down, using his vision to decrease wind resistance around him as much as he could. Aether was only feet below him, he reached out his hand, grasping at his fingers in an attempt to pull the boy to him. They were nearing the water now, and Xiao knew that a fall from this height would kill the mortal boy. In one last attempt, he kicked off a boulder as hard as he could, creating as much of an updraft under Aether as he could and pulling him to his chest.

Then they were on solid rock once again, Aether shaking in Xiao's arms, but insisting to the Tianquan that he was okay and could stand by himself. When he was shot worried looks by the rest of the Adepti, he realized that his mask had formed over his face, and his Karmic debt was swirling everywhere in this place full of mortals. He summoned it away, unsure as to when he summoned the thing that had cursed him to be alone forever, but certain that it had been on when he embraced Aether. He gritted his teeth, taking his leave back the inn.

That was why he couldn't grow attachments to the mortals. It didn't matter how resilient they were, if they were around him, they ended up dead one way or the other. Aether would be no different.

Weeks later, he heard from Rex Lapis that the blond traveler would be commencing his search for his twin sister in Inazuma. Good. He would be far away from any harm Xiao could bring to him, and hopefully closer to finding his sister. He didn't sleep that night, his mind too plagued with everything he had done to hurt mortals in the past. He hadn't even noticed that he had been sleeping better on days Aether was around, but now, with him leaving off to Inazuma, it was glaringly obvious.

Many mornings after, he awoke to the smell of almond tofu and mint jelly, things he knew Aether liked to bring when he visited. He was leaving today. Perhaps he had to say his goodbyes. Perhaps that had been why he visited Xiao. The thought was so absurd it almost hurt to think. They were not friends.