Chapter 1

Pain erupted throughout the seven year old's body. A silent scream escaped from her lips as she fell to the concrete. Her back felt on fire, and as she turned her head to look at it, she realized that was the case. She buried her face into the concrete, the pain unbearable. Not too far away, a ten year old boy stood and stared at his sister, regret filled his face. He ran over and dropped at her side. He tried to reach for her but she moved away at his touch.

"Rei, I'm ... I'm so sorry..." He tried to apologize. She flinched at his words and tried to raise herself up using her arms, only for them to give out and tumble back down to the ground. Tears filled her eyes. Her body began to feel numb as her brother lifted her up on to his back. The scenery began to blur around Rei as her brother ran frantically towards their house. Not long after, darkness took over.

Rei sat up swiftly, her face pale with a cold sweat. She calmed her breathing and looked around. She frowned when she saw the dimply lit hallways consisting of bookcases. She felt a pain in her back and looked around to realize she had slept on a pile of books. It's nothing compared to that time though... Rising to her feet she stretched out her stiff limbs. Once finished, she looked behind her to see Airon, a white materialized spirit stag. They had become companions almost six years ago, when they had discovered each other after wondering off from their own families. Their bond was strong, one not easily broken. They went against challenges together, and both have gotten hurt by the other before; but it's the hard times that strengthen the bond. Rei smiled as she lightly shook him awake. Opening those bright blue eyes, Airon shook his head before rising onto his hooves.

"Why'd you have to wake me so early?" Airon asked. Rei smiled at him. When standing, excluding the massive antlers, Airon was easily taller than Rei by half a head. Rei smiled and rubbed his white furry neck. He nuzzled Rei in response, clearly still tired. Picking up her backpack, Rei searched through for some food. Pulling out an apple she tossed it into the air. Airon caught it in his mouth without fault. Rei pulled out her own apple and started to eat. Tossing the backpack onto one shoulder, she exited the row of bookshelves with three books at hand. Books she hoped she'll be able to take with her. There's just too much information in them to remember. Rei and Airon searched around for the library owner and later found him roaming around. His head turned 360 degrees around towards Rei. A shiver ran down her spine as those dark eyes stared towards her.

"Yes?" he asked, almost annoyed yet patient.

"Um, I'm sorry to disturb, but what are the chances that I can keep these books?" The librarian narrowed his eyes before making his way over to inspect the books. Just he coming over was quite menacing, since he's a large owl spirit and all. He took the books with his large wing and stared at them before looking up at her.

"Why would these subjects interest you?" he asked suspiciously.

"Well because six years ago -," Rei was cut off as he abruptly turned his head around.

"I knew I couldn't trust those humans..." he mumbled before taking off towards the mechanical calendar room, the books falling from his grasp. Airon quickly jumped towards them and caught them in his antlers. He turned towards Rei with a questionable look.

"What are the chances that Wan Shi Tong will allow us to keep the books?" Rei asked, looking at Airon. He sighed.

"Probably none."

"Well then, let's make a run for it," she said and they both sped off towards the only entrance to the surface. On the way Rei jumped onto Airon's back and hurriedly placed the books inside her backpack. She held on tight as Airon's legs dematerialized and he rode upwards towards the opening, floating upwards. Bursting through, Rei and Airon landed on the sand. She jumped off of Airon and made sure she had all three books in, but looked up as someone suddenly spoke.