S05 E38: PRIDE (Pt. 2)

TRESE l Behind the Scenes: Michelle Press and Shay Mitchell l Netflix

Manila, babatiin ka ng mga ngiti na kasing init ng araw, pero sa gabi, pagnapadpad ka sa madilim na eskinita, maaari kang maging biktima niya

(Manila, you are going to be met with smiles as bright/warm as the sun, but at night, when you take a turn at a dark alley, you might be the next victim)

"Greetings, young Trese."

"Good evening, Nuno."

Shay: Trese is an animated series based on a graphic novel that is set in a modern-day Manila that uses Filipino folklore to tell its stories.

"What the hell are we dealing with?"

"Magic, captain."

Michelle: I am going to be voicing Alexandra Trese who is this badass female detective who is the protector of peace and harmony between the living...

"Tahan na, Ligtas ka na." (Calm down, you're safe now.)

Michelle: ... and the supernatural being who coexisted in the Philippines.

"You are the Babaylan Mandirigma, healer, and warrior. You were born ready."

Shay: I am really excited about this series. Just to see it come from words on a page to then seeing it be the artwork and then voicing over to this character that I've grown to love so much.

"Boys, it's time to go hunting."

Michelle: When I first received the Filipino script, I was blown away. It's beautifully told when it's in Filipino...

"Mga kaluluwa, saan kayo papunta?" (Spirits, where are you going?)

Michelle: And it has more of a sentimental value to me and I have more of a connection to it. I would like to believe that Alexandra and I are both very courageous when it comes to the people we love.

"Tatapusin ko na ito ngayon." (I will finish this now.)

Michelle: She has this responsibility and duty towards the people of Manila, and she really takes that to heart.

"If the Lakan gets in the way, kill her."

Shay: I get to play such a strong female in this, with such an incredible cast. We're both very determined women, and from what I see with Michelle, she is too.