Chapter 19

"Hnn..."
"Heisenberg, oh my gosh!"
You immediately crouched down to him and supported his head, he was covered in more scars than before and winced as you held him - was it internal bleeding?
"Kff..." he turned and coughed out a bit of blood which made you even more worrisome.
"Oh dear" the Duke remarked.
"Hey, hey!" You gently placed your hands on his shoulders as he stopped and tilted him to face you, his glasses sliding down his face and hat falling off "you'll be okay... come here"
You knew you had to save him - after all, he saved your life back there and risked his own to keep you safe - so you sighed and slowly brought your heads together.
"N... no... it's okay, Y/N..."
"Shh"
You hushed him, moved his hat away and planted a kiss on his forehead "...hnn". The Duke watched silently in fascination as Heisenberg briefly glowed in your arms with your golden aura, as it slowly faded into him you set him back down on his own.
...
"Please tell me it worked..."
...
"Kff, kff!"
Your expression lifted immediately as he began hacking and breathing normally again, he propped himself up on his elbows and wiped his brow.
"Ugh..."
"Ah! Lord Heisenberg, joined the living once more?"
"Quiet, you" he sat up and readjusted his glasses and hat.
"Heisenberg, are you alright? What happened in there?" You asked softly, he wiped the blood from his mouth and brushed off his jacket before he replied.
"Like I said, I managed to outrun them... bunch of cursed witches... wait- why did you heal me, Y/N?! I've got my own regenerative powers, they just take a moment to kick in! What if somebody saw you, huh?!"
He went back to his usual self and was hollering at you as he often did, but instead of responding with the same energy, tears of relief filled your eyes.
"We're lucky! If Miranda saw this, she would've- mmph"
You gave in and threw your arms around him, nuzzling your head into the crook of his neck as he froze in shock.
"I was so worried about you! I thought you died!" You squeezed him hard, not caring about how stiff he felt "why would you deal with them on your own... and you looked like you were in so much pain..."
You sniffed and continued to hold him for a short while, you knew he wasn't a touchy person and this was a brave move on your behalf, but to your surprise you felt a rather hesitant hand pat your back.
"Hey, come on now" his gruff voice sounded softer than usual "no tears... I've dealt with worse, you know?"
"..."
"... th... thank you"
You slowly looked up in surprise. Did the self-proclaimed genius Lord Heisenberg just show you some gratitude?
"... now up we get, Donna and Moreau are our next targets"
"Aw, really? I was quite content looking at you two canoodling... been a long time, eh Heisenberg?" The Duke chuckled from his carriage, the two of you stood up immediately.
"Shut your hole! Come on, Y/N... I have a way to communicate with the others"
And with that, he pulled you firmly by the arm before you could utter another word. He trudged on, silently cursing the Duke.
...
Was he embarrassed?