A while later, you hear the door open and close, then footsteps coming up the stairs. You open your eyes again and try to see out of the lounge door.

Dan and Phil walk past, Dan carrying one end of your suitcase and Phil carrying the other. They both look a little red faced, making you feel extremely guilty.

Eventually they come back into the lounge, Phil sitting down on the end of the sofa again and Dan collapsing on the floor dramatically.

"That's the most exercise I've done in a year," he mumbles into the floor, breathing heavily.

"Sorry," you say quietly, feeling an overwhelming sense of guilt. "Thank you so much, both of you."

"What are you apologising for?" Phil asks. "I'm a manly man, it was easy to lift that."

"You need a cordless hammer drill to be a manly man," you tease with a smile, remembering back to one of Dan and Phil's 'phil is not on fire' videos.

Oh s***. They don't know I'm a fan.

Phil looks puzzled, but laughs it off. "Of course. I actually have a cordless hammer drill somewhere. I never use it, though."

"I'm pretty sure you're only keeping that to convince your parents that you're a 'normal' man, Phil," Dan says to him with a laugh, sitting up.

"Normal is boring," Phil replies, shooting a playfully angry look at Dan.

"True," Dan admits. He looks over at you. "We left your stuff in the spare room, Y/n. Do you feel okay? We can go now to the doctor if you need to, or we can go in the morning... at a reasonable time, not -" He pauses to check the time on his phone. "- four am."

"I don't feel totally like I'm dying," you say with a pathetic attempt at a laugh. "Can we go in the morning?"

"Certainly," Phil says. "We should probably all get to sleep."

"Yes, mum," Dan teases, getting up from the floor. "Can you walk, Y/n?" he asks.

"I don't know," you say, hoping your manoeuvring will have improved from when you were in the house. You sit up and push the blanket to the side, putting your feet on the floor.

Dan gasps, looking at your feet. You look down at them too, to see clusters of purple and blue bruises mainly around your ankles. Your right ankle is also red and swollen. Now you know why it was so hard to walk.

"Oh my god, Y/n," Phil says with an astonished look on his face. He furrows his brow, thinking. "We might have some cream in the bathroom cabinet that can help with the swelling - wait here."

With that, he leaves the room.

Dan looks at your ankle again, grimacing. "How?"

"The landlord kicked my ankle when I was trying to leave the room," you reply, looking down at it and tentatively touching a bruise, which hurts quite a lot.

Phil returns, holding a tube of ointment for you to put on your ankle. "This should help," he says, handing it to you with a smile.

"Thank you," you say gratefully, applying the cream to your ankle and trying not to wince too much. It really stings.

"I'm going to bed guys, call me if you need anything, Y/n," Phil says with a smile, leaving the room once again.

"I'm guessing you can't walk well then," Dan says, pointing out the obvious. "Do you want to just sleep on the sofa tonight?"

"I'll try to go to the spare room," you say, determined to get there. As you stand up, you wobble a little. Dan immediately comes to your side, supporting you by putting his arm around your waist. You put your arm around his shoulder, and with his help, you manage to limp to the spare room.

You climb into the bed in the spare room, Dan turning around and about to leave. You call his name and he turns back around to face you.

"Thank you both for everything. You're being so kind to me - I honestly appreciate it," you say sincerely.

"Well, we could hardly leave you in that dump with the criminal..." he says, shrugging his shoulders and giving you a small smile.

You pause. "Would it be inappropriate to ask for a hug?" you ask uncertainly, unintentionally holding your breath.

You hear Dan's breath hitch, which he badly conceals with a cough. "Not at all," he replies.

You sit up as he walks over to you, giving you a small smile. He bends down to your level and wraps his arms around your waist, resting his chin on your shoulder. You could just sit here in his arms forever, to be completely honest.

He pulls back and you both look into each other's eyes. You're only about five centimetres apart.

Dan looks away, and the moment is over. "Goodnight," he says, getting up and walking out.

"Night," you manage to reply, your heart thumping for other reasons than fear this time.