thirty nine: the ring.

𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐚'𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐯:

"You need to sleep," Leo says as he helps me out of my dress.

"No, I need to explain," I say as I step out of it only to reveal my blood-soaked body. I look down at myself and shiver over the amount of blood that's on me. I turn on my heels and walk toward my bathroom. Leo already had it running as soon as we walked into my estate.

I step into the warm water that turns this brownish-red color as soon as it hits my body. I start rubbing my body to try and get some of it off before using soap.

"I'm okay with an explanation tomorrow. You need rest," he says as he walks into the bathroom and sits on the counter. I roll my eyes at him as I reach for the soap.

"I won't be able to rest unless I get this off of my chest... I haven't been able to rest at all," I admit and concern washes over his entire face.

He doesn't say anything as he allows me to finish my shower. Washing the blood out of my hair, nails, and every crevice of my body was the most stressful thing I've ever had to do. Even when I was completely spotless, I still felt dirty.

Once I'm satisfied enough, I open the glass door and stick my hand out. Leo hands me the towel that's sitting next to him and I wrap myself in it. His eyes are on me as I walk out of the bathroom and into the closet. I pull out one of Stephen's sweatshirts and a pair of shorts.

"Did you put cream on your side like I told you to?" I ask Leo as I watch him walk out of the bathroom. I pull on my clothes before turning and looking in my full-length mirror. My face grows with disgust once I notice the bruises around my neck.

People have got to stop choking me. These bruises take forever to go away.

"I did while you were showering," he says as he jumps on my bed and my mouth drops.

"You didn't think to shower before laying in my perfectly clean bed?" I groan.

"I changed my clothes... And there was no blood on me," he defends and I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, that's what you think," I say as I crawl onto the bed.

I sit there for a moment. I pull a blanket over my exposed legs before picking at my nails. Not entirely knowing how he's going to react to the truth about everything. Not knowing if he's going to think my reasoning for doing it was stupid.

It wasn't.

I had every right to do what I did.

I had to do what I did.

"We don't have to talk about it today. It's late and I can tell you're tired," he tries as he places his hand over mine in an attempt to stop me from picking at my nails.

"No, I just-" I pause. "You remember the meeting I was supposed to have with Ilya? The one right after Stephen's funeral when he broke into my house?"

"Yeah... What about it?" he asks.

I take a deep breath before I look him in the eyes. His eyes are already on mine as he gives me an encouraging look. Silently encouraging me to tell him and that everything's okay.