twelve: the truth.

𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐚'𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐯:

They don't speak the whole car ride. It's absolute silence. Markus is visibly fuming while Greyson seems calm. I wanted to say something, tell them I was trying to protect them. But I can't get through to them like this. Markus gets his anger issues from my father and if you push him too far, you'll see the resemblance. He's learned to calm down a bit but sometimes he can't control himself when he gets like this.

As soon as we get home, they don't say a word to me. Stephen tries to stop them but it's no help, they both make their ways to their rooms without taking a second glance towards us.

"They hate me," I say as I sit at our dinner table and put my head in my hands.

"They don't hate you, they just need time. Talking to them one on one would be best," he says as he rubs my back.

"I don't even understand why they're just mad at me, you knew too."

"Probably because growing up, you would always tell them the shit that would happen in this family. Now that we've gotten older, you've stopped and become more secretive."

"It's because I want to protect them," I groan as I lift my head to look at him. "I love mom to death and she tried her best but we didn't have any protecting growing up. I tried protecting you, taking a fuck ton of missions and doing the kills dad assigned for you but I could only do so much. We were thrown into this world without any idea how to deal with it. We saw our first dead body at 10 fucking years old. I killed someone for the first time at 12. I failed you and I just- I needed someone. And I didn't have that, so I wanted to be there for them."

"You did protect me," he mumbles and I tear my eyes away from him.

I didn't.

"No I didn't."

"You beat the shit out of anyone who used to pick on me as kids. After mom died and dad used to come home with some reason to be pissed at us, you used to take the fall. Every single time. Jesus fuck, when mom died I cried in your arms and you didn't allow one single tear to fall out of your eyes because you felt you needed to be strong for me. When dad forced me to finish off one of his kills, you took the gun from out of my hand and did it for me. That's why you had your first kill, it should've been mine," he sits down at the table and leans down to try and look me in the eyes. "Look, you did the best you could. I should've protected you more than I did."

I look in his eyes to see he has tears. I scoff as I push him away from me and look down at my hands.

"Don't cry, you bitch," I joke and he puts a smile on his face.

"Go talk to them, tell them the truth," I open my mouth to say something but he cuts me off. "The whole truth."

I roll my eyes as I stand out of my chair. Flipping him off as I walk off. He laughs as I make my way up the stairs. I take slow steps towards Markus' room. Again, preparing myself for what's about to come. I'm not sure wether or not I'm going to get screamed at or he's going to be sobbing or even both. I'm preparing for the worst.

Once I make it to his door, I place my head on it. Trying to hear for anything he may be doing but it's complete silence. I take a deep breath before hesitantly knocking on his door.