Chapter 21- Lost in the Stairwell

Bucky pov

  I was woken up early in the morning by a knock on my door. I trudged over to the door, to find Natasha.

  "Good morning, just to let you know me, you, Clint, Tony, Thor and Bruce are going on a mission today."

  "Why can't Steve go?"

  "Old man pulled a muscle, and your the next in line."

  "Who's gonna watch Haley?"

  "Steve, duh."

  "I thought he pulled a muscle."

  "He can still take care of a child." She deadpanned.

  "Okay, but I think a child is harder than a mission. How long?"

  "Uhh." She said a nervous smile gracing her lips, "at least a week."

  "A week?! No."

  "Steve will be here she'll be fine."

  "No."

  "Come o-"

  "I said no Natasha."

  "Fine. I'll just go tell everyone you said no."

  "Good." I said returning to my room, but only a few minutes later another knock was on the door. I got up and groaned. I opened the door and saw five people Clint, Natasha, Bruce, Thor and Steve.

  "Buck, come on she'll be safe with me." Steve said clearly annoyed by my refusal to go with everyone else. I looked at all their desperate faces, and knew they wouldn't stop.

  "Fine, but I need to talk to Steve. All of you can go." I said and everyone left except for Steve.

  "Don't let anyone touch her." I said in a serious tone, shaking my head.

  "I won't, I promise." He said looking over his shoulder and walking out.

Time Skip 12:00 p.m. same day
Bucky pov

  "Haley, lunch is ready." I called. We left for our week long mission in two hours. I hadn't told Haley yet because I knew it would make her upset.

"Coming Daddy." She yelled from her bedroom. She came running to the dining room.

"Slow down you'll fall." I scolded her.

"Sorry." She said, slowing her pace.

"Haley, daddy has to go somewhere later. Is it okay if you stay with uncle Steve for a little bit?" I asked, trying to not make her upset. Her brows furrowed.

"When will you come back?" She asked, worry in her crystal blue eyes. We looked the exact same, deep, crystal blue- gray eyes and long, messy, brown hair.

  "I won't be gone to long, I'll be back before you know it." I said.

  She still looked worried, but said, "Okay." I smiled at her.

  After lunch I put her down for a nap. When she fell asleep, I began to pack a bag for her. I had just finished packing, as I felt a tug on my pants. I looked down and saw my sleepy toddler.

  "Daddy I have to go potty." She said yawning.

  "Okay." I said taking her hand and guiding her to the bathroom. I set her on the toilet and waited. A few minutes later she said she was done, so I helped her wipe and wash her hands. Then we went back to her room and got her dressed.

  I grabbed her packed bag and told her to pick out a few toys, then headed up to Steve's floor

"Uncle Steve." Haley called running over to him.

  "Hey little princess." He said.

"Uncle Steve I brought toys look." She told him, running over to me for her bag of toys. She brought them back over to him and started to show them to him.

"Haley, you sit here and play I'm gonna go talk to your dad okay?" Steve asked her.

"Okay." She said starting to play.

"It turns out, Tony can't go." He told me when he got over to me.

"Why?" I asked.

"Tony met this kid named Peter Parker, he's really smart. His aunt just died a few days ago, and we got approved to adopt him. So Tony is out signing papers and picking up Peter." He said nervously. I smiled.

"That's great Steve. Do you know anything about him?" I asked.

"He's fourteen years old. Really into Star Wars, like Tony. Also really smart." He said as we both sat on the sofa.

"Sounds like a good kid." I said. I looked over at Haley, but she wasn't there.

"Steve where's Haley?" I asked.

"What do you me-" He started, "J.A.R.V.I.S., where's Haley?" He asked as I started looking around.

"She is in the stairwell in between two floors, which I cannot detect, Captain Rogers." J.A.R.V.I.S. replied. I ran over the the stairwell door and threw it open.

"Haley? Haley where are you?" I called.

"Daddy?" Came a little echoing voice. I started descending flights of stairs looking for her. She had made it down four flights of stairs.  I picked her up and wiped the tears of fear off her face.

  "Why'd you come downstairs doll?" I asked her starting back up the stairs.

  "I left my bunny in my room." She said more tears falling from her deep crystal blue eyes.

  "We'll go get it. Just ask next time okay?" I told her, our new destination our floor. We got her bunny and the tears stopped, she clung to her stuffed bunny like her life depended on it. She took it everywhere, you never saw her without it, I don't know how she forgot it.

  We got back upstairs and she went over to Steve to show him her bunny.

  "Uncle Steve we got my bunny!" She told him.

  "Very nice." He said, acting like she didn't show it to him every time she saw him. Then Natasha walked in.

  "Ready?" She asked, directing her question towards me.

  "Just a minute." I told her.

  "Auntie Nat!" Haley said, when she noticed her. One second she was with Steve, the next over by Nat, showing Nat her bunny as well. Nat smiled at her, Haley saw no bad in either of us, not knowing we both once were assassins. I don't think she'll ever care, she'll love us either way.

  "Haley, come over here." I told her.

  "Okay." She said, jogging over.

  "I have to go now, but I'll be back before you know it." I told her. Her smile was replaced with a frown. Tears were threatening to spill from her eyes.

  "No you can't go, you have to play with me." She said pulling my arm towards her toys.

  "I'll play with you when I get back, okay?" I said, pulling her into a hug. Her small arms wrapped around my neck, and I stood up holding her in a hug. I walked over to Steve so he could take her. I took her arms off my neck and set her on his lap.

  "I promise I'll be back soon." I told her, kissing her forehead. "Bye."

  "Bye bye." She said a tear making its path down her cheek.

  I went downstairs with Natasha after telling Haley goodbye. I grabbed my things and everyone, except Tony and Steve, got on the jet. I just kept reminding myself we'd be back soon, and I'd be back just in time for her first day of school.