Chapter 03- The Meeting

Bucky pov

  Anne told me a few things about Haley before she came downstairs. Apparently Hayley was three. She was still three because HYDRA froze her just in case the Winter Soldier failed. Haley had yet to talk, and had nightmares every night. Just like me. Anne was filling me in on her medical information, when Liam came downstairs a small girl following him.

  When I saw how small she was, I freaked out. She was so small, I was afraid I would hurt her if I barely even tapped her. I took a look at her, she was just like me. Chestnut brown hair and blue eyes. Her eyes seemed dull and fearful which made me worried.

"James this is Haley. Haley this is your dad." Dad, the name sounded funny.

  "Hi there" I said bending down. She looked scared so I bent down to not be so intimidating. She gave a small wave.

  "Since the agency came this morning you can take her."

  "What do you mean they came?"

  "Oh, you didn't know? Steve Rogers called saying they could come this morning since everything was ready." She said confused.

  "Oh, yeah. I forgot" I lied. Steve must've done this after I left.

  "Okay Haley, go with your dad."

  She slowly walked towards me, fear in her eyes. I decided not to move until she got to me. When she finally reached me I slowly picked her up, afraid she would break.

  "Thank you, Anne."

  "No problem, it's what I do" she said as I walked out.

  Steve was outside next to a car. He scared me but I hid my fear quickly, not wanting Haley to freak out.

  "You were really gonna take her home on a bike?" He asked surprised "She doesn't even have a helmet!"

  "Well Capsicle, I don't really have a car, do I?" I replied rolling my eyes.

  "You and kid in the car, I'll take the bike." Steve said

  "Steve I haven't driven a car since 1940" I deadpanned.

  "Well to bad" he said hopping on the bike and driving away.

  I sighed, I really didn't like cars. Haley looked at me expectantly when I set her in the car seat. It took me a few minutes to realize I had to strap her in. I strapped her in, and got in the drivers seat. I began to back out of the driveway, and went down the road.

  Driving wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We soon arrived at my apartment. I was getting  Haley out of the car, when Steve pulled up.

  "Took you long enough" I said

  "Hey I was here five minutes after you, and I took the long way." He said back sassily.

  "Whatever you say cap."

  I picked up Haley and carried her inside. My apartment wasn't too bad. It had two rooms, a bathroom, a kitchen and a living room. That was all I needed. As I guessed, Steve set up a room for Haley after I left.

  "You son of a-"I began

  "Language"Steve said eying Haley.

  I walked into the room and set Haley down. Steve had got the necessary stuff a bed, a dresser and a desk.

  "I didn't know how old she was so this is all I got. You'll have to go shopping later." Steve told me.

  "Thanks Steve"

  I realized I hadn't introduced Steve to Haley.

  "Oh, come here Haley, it's okay come on" I said as she cautiously made her way towards me. " This is your uncle Steve" I said pointing at him. He crouched down with me.

  "Hi Haley" he said smiling and waving. She gave a small wave and ran back to the window.

  She tried and tried to see out of it, but she was too short even on her tippy toes. It was cute watching her try to look out the window. I eventually came and picked her up so she could see. She looked out the window happily.

  "Well I gotta go, are you gonna go shopping or what?" Steve said suddenly.

  "Yeah in a little bit" I said

  "Oh, I'm leaving the car here so you can use it. It's actually yours now."

  "Really?! Wait how are you gonna get back?" I said surprised.

  "You're not taking my bike!" I said threateningly.

  "Natasha is picking me up in a few. So stay in here till we leave if she's gonna stay secret." He said back pointing at Haley.

  "Okay, bye Steve" I said and Haley waved.

  After he left  I took Haley to the living room, and waited until Natasha had been gone for a while. I got up to get Haley, and found her digging through one of the many boxes on the floor. She had layed out a collection of my old toy cars and was searching for more. When she didn't find any she began to play with the cars. I decided to shop later so she could play.

  I was about to go get her some food when I heard a tiny, " vroom vroom"

  My head snapped towards Haley that was the first thing I heard her say. Her voice was adorable. I wanted to hear it again, but she didn't say anything else.

  After an hour of her playing, I knew we had to go shopping or the store would close. I scooped up Haley, and put her in the car seat. We got to Walmart and went inside. This wasn't my first time in Walmart, I got groceries every other week. But I was still astonished at how big Walmarts were now.

  We went to the clothes first. We got lots of clothes. I managed to get her a few little dresses. After clothes we went to bedding, then we got other things like sippy cups, diapers, and a toothbrush. I bought what I thought was needed. Then we went to toys. She didn't like any of the girl toys. She got cars, blocks, and puzzles. Then she saw the stuffed animals. She ran toward them and started looking at them.

  "Attention shoppers, we're closing in 15 minutes. Please head to the check outs."

  "Come on Haley, you have enough already" I said making her start to get upset. "No no no no no. Don't cry. Don't cry. You can get some okay?" I said panicking. She smiled and picked up a bunny. We walked to the checkout, and I bought everything. Man a kid is expensive. We got everything in the trunk except the bunny, which I let her carry around. As we drove to the apartment her eyes began to droop.