Ch. 51

The being that greeted Jason was unlike any he had ever seen before. It stood over 12 feet tall, as best Jason could guess. It had fangs the size of Marinette, and its eyes glowed an unholy red. But, strangely, Jason felt no threat from it. He knew, somehow, that it would do him no harm.

"What are you?"

"I am what I am. There are many forms I can take," -The creature shifted too a girl in a dress swathed in starlight, to a man dressed in robes with a crown of roses on his head, to a puppy, and then back again-"This is just the one I find most comfortable." 

"Yeah, but like, what are you?" The creature tilted its head and thought.

"I am...in between. I am not in the beyond, nor in the now. I am...something in the middle. I am...the crossroads, you could say. I am the meeting point between what comes before, and what comes after." 

"That wasn't confusing at all." The creature gave a low rumble that Jason perceived to be a laugh. 

"I suppose you could think of me as death."

"NOT AGAIN!"

"No child, you're not dead, though based on what you choose, you may be."

"Choose?" Jason echoed dumbly.

"Yes. Choose. You can choose to return back to your life, sans the pit magic, return with it, or not return at all."

"Without the pit magic. Please." The words were out before she had even given the last option.

"Do you know what that would entail?"

"ah...no."

"You would lose the edge you have on others. The ability to heal a little faster, run a little further, jump a little higher. You would be like everyone else. And, most importantly, you'll lose your ability to see."

"I'm going to be blind???"

"No. I didn't say your eyesight, I said the ability to see.

"Are those not the same thing?" The creature shifted into the body of a five-year-old, with blonde pigtails and a sparkly pink wand, and giggled.

"No silly. I meant your ability to see things Beyond. Having died and come back, you have the ability to see things that many can't. Those creatures you see at the edge of your visions, the whispers of your name you hear in the wind, that little voice who tells you where to go when there's trouble? Those are creatures from beyond. And, should you go back, you will have that no longer."

"That doesn't seem so bad." The creature shifted again, this time to man, a cape cloaking his shoulders, a scepter in hand.

"So, what is it you wish?"

"I want to go home."

"If that is what you wish." 

"It is."

"Goodbye, Jason. I pray we'll never meet again." The creature shifted again. back to the 12-foot-tall being, and touched his shoulder.

"What does a being like you even pray to?" The creature simply smiled, and then everything faded into the darkness. 

A/N- two in one day!!!!!!! Thanks for reading!!!!!!!