Chapter 13: The Cold

Taehyun opened his eyes slowly like that of a flower. When was the last time he slept without his terrors visiting him every night? Today was the first...

He gazed over to his right where the other was sleeping silently with both of his hands laid under his cheeks. Beomgyu's brow furrowed as he napped and Taehyun didn't move an inch in fear of waking him up. But he still did. Taehyun gently moved his hand, his thumb brushing Beomgyu's brows lightly as he attempted to loosen the wrinkle on Beomgyu's face.

"Mm," Beomgyu mutters half-asleep.

"Oh, sorry..." Taehyun whispers and took back his hand, unhurriedly leaving the bed. And since he had a good night's sleep, the general decided to proceed with his mission today.

Taehyun is going to the Hearths himself.

The memo he received last night was reluctant. It seemed like he was hiding something from him. Is it something so bad that he didn't want Taehyun to see or know of? Why would they hide it? Taehyun silently left Beomgyu's bed-chamber and ran to his room to change into clothes that would not seem suspicious once he steps over the border and then to the Mists.

He was going to sneak out of the Mists, then sneak into the Hearths. It was crucial to wear something that could hide him in the shadows.

He grabbed a bag and threw in all the weapons he would need, from spears to pistols, to potions. He knew he needed everything he would think of. Taehyun wore a red tunic, putting a black cape over his shoulder and covering his head with its hood.

The journey through the magical forest would either be nice to him or wound him all over like it did with Beomgyu, since Taehyun couldn't use his magic anymore. Although he didn't lose the power, he became weak like that of a novice when his wings were cut off from him. How he will recover from all the pain it caused him is still unsure.

If only Taehyun could still cast a protection spell over himself, he would.

"Taehyun, where are you going?"

The general jerked from his preparations when a voice had come to startle him. "What the hell, Yeonjun?" Taehyun was afraid he's been caught. "At least knock before you come in!"

Taehyun can't afford to be caught. Every tick of the clock is a chance passing away.

"I was just asking!" Yeonjun closed the door behind him and walked towards the bed with all of Taehyun's equipment. "What's this for?"

Taehyun ignored him and walked to his closet to finish up what he needed to bring. He can't waste any more time.

"Are you going out to hunt?" Yeonjun asks as he each took the pistol and stared down at them. "Why aren't you taking a fairy soldier with you?"

Taehyun put down the last of the pistol's bullets into a leather pouch and threw it inside the bag. "You'd rather not know," He snatched the pistol on Yeonjun's hand an threw it all in. Then, Taehyun swung a sword and dangled it behind his back. The journey won't take that long if he takes no stop. He can reach the other side by midnight.

"What do you mean?"

"You will not tell mother, or anyone, about my whereabouts. I'll be home by sunrise tomorrow." Taehyun looked in the mirror, the shadow of the black hood of his cape covering his face. This is good.

"Wait... Are you going to the Hearths..?" Yeonjun's eyes enlarged as he realized what Taehyun was about to do. "Oh, no, you're not,"

The fairies of the Mists were taught to go through lengths to get out of the Hearths' way. After the big war, they can't afford to have it transpire once more, especially since the general had to pay with his wings being cut off. They can't have another fairy losing their wing and lower the value of their kingdom's faes.