xliii. Silence

고요

고요

SOMETHING THAT MINA didn't expect to occur the following day was the entire school finding out about her massive crush on Jungkook. She had no idea how everyone found out, but the only plausible guess was from Jungkook. He and Bitna were the only ones to explicitly know, and Bitna wouldn't expose her crush like that, so it had to have been Jungkook.

Needless to say, she was fuming. Not only at Jungkook, but at herself for letting this entire situation happen in the first place. Maybe she really should have just got over Jungkook and perhaps gone out with Yunho.

Poor Yunho.

Several people were giving her glares and muttering with their friends as she would walk through the hallways. Apparently, nobody had ever expected Mina to have a crush on someone in the class, even if it was Jungkook. For Mina, what's worse was knowing that Jungkook didn't feel the same. It was humiliating.

Especially when she walked into the cafeteria during lunch and felt nearly everyone's eyes on her. Bitna had already been sitting down with Taehyung and the rest, who had looked over at the entrance to see Mina grasping her backpack string in anxiety as people gossiped around her. It felt just like her first day of school, where she felt so out of place and unwanted. That was Jungkook's fault back then, as well. 

Mina's eyes scanned the room until they landed on her table, seeing one of the seats of the table unfortunately occupied by Jungkook, who had made eye contact with her. Panic began to fill her veins, and before she knew it, she was turning around, exiting the cafeteria.

I'll just eat in homeroom again.

She walked in the empty hallway, her footsteps echoing until another one began to join in, and her heart dropped to her stomach when she heard her name.

"Mina!"

There was only one person in the school who called her by her real name.

Hesitantly, she froze and turned around, looking up at Jungkook who began to walk toward her. Mina was terrified; this looked just like the night when everything went wrong. He looked almost angry, and that itself made her remember how Jungkook was the reason why she was feeling so ashamed at that moment.

"Can we talk?" Jungkook asked when he reached her, staying a few feet away in order to make her comfortable enough.

"No," she quickly said, about to walk away before Jungkook stopped her with his firm voice.

"Please."

Mina clenched her jaw and looked back at him, seeing the desperation on his face that tugged on her heartstrings. She sighed, looking down at the floor. "Fine."

"I'm sorry," Jungkook said, and when he didn't continue, Mina perked her head up at him, her eyebrow cocked incredulously.

"For what? That you told everyone?" she snapped, surprising herself as the words fell out of her mouth.