xviii. Cage

새장

새장

A WEEK HAD slowly passed since Jungkook's birthday, since Mina ultimately got rejected without him ever knowing that she loved him. Loved? Love? She didn't know anymore. Was it even worth loving him? She knew she would never receive the love in return.

Yet, every time she would see Jungkook in her classes throughout each passing day, it was as if she would melt back to default, falling back in love all over again. Then she would be reminded that he was in love with someone else, and her emotions would fade into sadness again, creating an endless cycle of destruction.

"Do you want my pudding?" Bitna's question brought Mina out of her thoughts as she glanced at her best friend, slowly shaking her head in refusal before looking down at her barely touched food again. Bitna frowned, dropping her spoon gently onto her plate. "We should go to the mall, what do you say?"

"I have to go to my singing lessons today," she answered, monotonously.

"We have to do something to get your mind off of you know who," Bitna said. "It hurts me to see you like this."

"What do you mean?" Mina raised her eyebrows at her. "I'm fine."

Bitna tilted her head and gave her a disapproving look, making the girl look away defeatedly. "We both know you're not fine, after Jungkook's birthday party. When I saw Raven in front of me for the first time," she slipped away for a second, before shaking her head out of her thoughts. "Listen, boys aren't worth mulling over. Especially not Jungkook. Why don't you talk to Yunho? Maybe ask him to hang out?"

Mina smiled a bit at the thought of Yunho. They had gotten closer within the past week, spending time together in the hallways and during classes. Yunho was one of her very good friends, a quite good-looking one in fact, that sometimes her heart would beat quickly around him.

"I'd feel bad to use him like that," Mina frowned. "To get over him."

"I guess you're right. You also can't avoid Jungkook that much, either. We literally have a group project with him in history," Bitna sighed.

"Didn't the teacher say we have to work on it out of class?" Mina asked. Upon seeing Bitna nod, a thought came into her head and she began speaking without even thinking. "I can ask if we can do it at my house today. Just to get the project over with."

"Really?" Bitna raised her eyebrows excitedly. "Will your dad let them come?"

"I can ask my father's secretary, Yeojeong, to ask him. I don't know why he'd say no, I mean, it's for school," she shrugged.

She had no idea how wrong she was.

-

Mina climbed into the passenger seat of her car, while Namjoon, Bitna, Seokjin, Yoongi and Jungkook shuffled into the car. Kangho was in the driver's seat, glancing at everyone in the rear-view mirror.