CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: NAVIGATIONAL ISSUES

(told in perspective of Matthew Crustello):

I held open a map, I was leading my team to the next resting point. We had been walking for hours and I wasn't quite sure if we could take much more of this. I looked back to see how everyone was holding up. They all had red faces, they were breathing heavily and they were constantly taking drinks from their thermoses. I knew that we were all tired, we just really needed to get as far as we can. Who knows how long we have until the war gets worse? It was a war after all and everything about it can be surprising. I looked at the map and noticed before our destination, there was a tiny little poem. I read it out loud:
"Danger lies at the wake of dawn, you may not see it for it appears to be gone. Eyes like fire will never cease, Be wary of her watchful eye or you may be deceased."

"What was that?" Cassandra walked up to me.

"A poem on the paper, I just haven't figured out what they mean." I explained.

"Crustello, we've been following you blindly this entire time and you didn't think to tell us about these warnings?" Cassandra rubbed her head. She started to get a nervous look. "No wonder the trees have started to disappear and it's been so hot. You led us right into the Land of Ash! Do you have any idea how dangerous it is out here?"

"Um no?" I nervously said.

"Ugh, you didn't read the file, did you." She asked annoyed. She pushed the file into my hands and took the map from me. "From now on, I think I'll be the navigator."

"Fine with me." I put my hands up and let her take the lead. I started to read the file that I had so carelessly thrown to the side, it mentioned a dessert, tons of missing person cases, bandits, and some of the worse cases of sunburn I'd ever seen. I felt bad for putting my team in danger, but I was glad I had let Cass take the lead, I was never good in directions anyways.

We had walked for a while now and my calves started to get soar. We had all started to slow down and Cass looked back. "Guys, I don't know about you but I think we should call it a day." We all plopped down on the sand and groaned. Once we had set up camp, the stars came out and it started to get cooler. Cass sat down with her arms crossed and her back against the tent, she looked anxious. I felt like I had done something seriously wrong, and I knew that I needed to say something now or she would just get more worried.

"I'm sorry Cass, it's my fault that we're in the dessert, I was just trying to get us to where we need to go faster, I'm sorry for putting my team in danger." I quickly apologized.

Cass sighed and said, "Hey, it's fine everyone makes mistakes."

"Wait your not mad at me?" I was surprised.

"Eh, not really, I was just wondering... could I ask you something." She started to sound a bit more nervous.

"Ummm sure."

"If you like someone, as in like like someone, but you shouldn't be with them, but somehow, your meant to be together, should you just go for it, or forget it even happened?" I took a moment to soak all this in, I wasn't quite sure what she was talking about but I tried to answer anyways.

"If your meant to be together, then you should go for it." I smiled.

"Thanks Matt, I really needed that." She looked relaxed and we both went to sleep.
TO BE CONTINUED