CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: AND WE'RE OFF

(In perspective of Matthew Crustello):

My team waited for me in the garage, all eyes turned to me as soon as I walked down the concrete stairs. "So, this is our fearless leader? Glad you could make it." Draco smirked.

"One day with our team and you've already picked up on the sarcasm..." I countered playfully, "...now who's ready to go on the quest of our lives?!" I pumped my fists, my team gave a sarcastic cheer. "Meh, good enough." I smiled and, with a couple eye rolls and smacks to the face, we all loaded into the van. Then someone hopped in to the drivers seat. She seemed oddly familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on where I'd seen her before. She noticed my confused face and she smiled, "I'm Cassandra, but you guys can call me Cass." Wait! It was Cassandra from the off limits zone! But how did she end up with us? I was a bit skeptical but decided to focus on the mission. The garage door slowly opened, revealing a gray sky that seemed frozen in time, the trees drooped down and the grass was a brown shade. This had been our world ever since the eclipse. I had to remind myself that after this, everything would be different. I would save the day and everything would go back to normal. The car started moving and I remembered to put my seat belt on.
"Seriously." Draco looked at me. I gave him a questioning look. He pointed to the roads and the barren wasteland, abandoned and forgotten. "What are we gonna crash into genius." I rolled my eyes.
"Just because it seems illogical doesn't mean it isn't logical." I reached over his shoulder and put the buckle on him. He rolled his eyes. "You'll thank me later."

"Alright let's get this show on the road!" Cassandra stepped on the gas and the garage zipped by. The speed on the car read 80.

"Are you crazy?!" I held onto the seat for dear life. And I thought I heard a couple of screams echo from the back seat.

"Like Draco said, there's nothing to hit out here." She looked back and I suddenly saw a deer jump out in front of us.

"Look out!!!" I screamed. The car drove off the road which earned a unison of screams. When the car settled, I looked over at Draco. He looked absolutely terrified. I laughed and patted him on the back, "I told ya so."
TO BE CONTINUED