V. Cook Book

Chapter 5, Cook Book
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" You know what, the box said to leave it in for two hours and thirty minutes, so don't blame me. "

~ Scarlett's POV ~

The sun was going down, that meant it was time for me to go grab ingredients for the food I will make.
I grabbed a cook book and began to flip through the pages, I was getting tired of finding difficult foods.

"God, I am so close to ordering takeout."

I muttered to myself, I sighed as there was a knock on the door.
I looked through the peephole and saw Jaden standing there, I opened the door and smiled slightly.

"What's up Baseball boy?"

I allowed him inside and he settled his bag down beside the door, he smiled at me.

"Nothing much pitch perfect, what are you doing?"

He asked as he saw the cook book sprawled on the counter, I took a deep breath and looked at him.

"Headache in physical form."

I breathed out, I was getting a headache trying to figure out what I was going to cook.
Before he could say anything, my father walked inside and smiled at us.

"I see you've met one of my team players, Jaden Walton. Jaden, I see you've familiarized yourself with my daughter."

My dad said as he patted his shoulder and looked at me, he wiggled his eyebrows making me laugh a bit.
Jaden smiled and nodded slightly.

"Scar what are we eating tonight?"

my dad asked as he looked at the cook book, I sighed and shrugged my shoulders.

"Y'all like burritos?"

Jaden asked as he flipped the page, I nodded and so did my father.

"Would you like to stay for dinner?"

My dad asked Jaden, he looked at me and then at my father.
I smiled when he accepted the invitation, he helped me cook as well.

"It's better having you as a cooking partner than having my dad."

I said laughing, my dad looked up at me and scoffed playfully.

" You know what, the box said leave it in for two hours and thirty minutes, so don't blame me. "

He said before returning his attention to the TV, the Yankees were on.

"Go watch with him, I got this handled."

I said with a smile, Jaden was reluctant to leave but after some convincing he sat with my dad on the couch.
A couple of times they cheered and others they booed but it was fun nonetheless.

"Dinner is served."

I said happily as I gave both of them plates, I handed them a root beer.

As I made my way to the table, I couldn't stop thinking about actually joining a real baseball team.
My dad will be coaching it so I wouldn't have to be annoyed or afraid of boys teasing and Jaden is my new friend.

I ate my food and did the dishes, everything was silent now that Jaden went home and I preferred it that way.
It meant I had time to think before any distractions popped up and took my focus away.

Just as I was about to sit down and think about my options, my phone rang.
The caller ID showed my mother, I haven't spoken to her since last night, she always called.

I answered and we spoke for about three hours, once I hung up and I went upstairs to my bathroom and took a shower.
I had to think about this choice, I couldn't go back if I said I'd join either.

Once I got out the shower I changed into some shorts and a Pixies shirt, I laid on my bed and put on Criminal Minds.
This show was my obsession, I loved watching them crack open the cases and find the criminals.

The silence in my room was starting to feel uncomfortable, I decided to call Jaden.
After about two rings, he answered it.

"Sup baseball ball boy."

He laughed, it sounded cute too.

"What's up pitcher?"

"Nothing, I'm bored. Entertain me."

I said with a smile, after a minute of silence, I heard ringing.
I checked my phone and noticed he was facetiming me, I accepted the call and immediately I looked away.

This kid was playing his PlayStation, he was wearing a black bucket hat and he was shirtless.
I felt blush creep up on my face.

"Nervous much?"

I heard him say, when I look back at my phone he was looking directly at the camera.

"Of course not, I was looking for something."

I lied quickly, he nodded slowly and went back to playing his game.

I would be lying to everyone on the planet if I said I didn't stare, but a little white like wouldn't hurt.