Mildred didn't know what she was expecting from her father as she stepped out into the hallway. He was not a very emotional person. She knew when he saw her though, he was fighting back tears. He wore his formal uniform adorned with all his awards and metals. His hand was wrapped around a sword that was holstered. "Millie..."

"Oh, please don't cry, father." She said with a smile.

He cleared his throat. "I won't. Hopefully. You look beautiful. Gurney is going to be...speechless."

"I hope so." She said with tearful eyes.

"Okay. Okay. You ready?" He asked while offering her his arm.

"I'm ready."

Mildred rested her hand on his arm and the two of them began to walk. She tried her best to remain composed, but on the inside she was jumping up and down excitedly. The doors where the ceremony was being held were closed. Two guards remained at either door, waiting for their Duke to nod at them. When he did, they opened revealing a crowd of hundreds of people. People came from different planets and Houses. She could see the Emperor's representatives sitting towards the front.

Paul and her mother sat on the front row. And then, at the end of the hall was Gurney. He stood with one hand by his side and the other wrapped around his sword. He wore a uniform similar to her father's just with less awards. She tried her best to not smile too brightly, but she couldn't help it. All she could see was Gurney as she walked. She knew she needed to acknowledge all of the guests. It didn't matter in that moment.

Gurney felt his heart stop when the doors opened and he finally saw Mildred. There were no words to describe how she looked. Beautiful. Angelic even. It was as if she wasn't even walking along the carpet, more like floating. He tried to remain as stone like as possible, but tears were burning in his eyes. He had wished his parents and sister were alive to see this moment. They would been proud and they would have loved Mildred.

The closer she got, the more he could see details of what she looked like. The jewels in her hair. The light make up on her face. The bare skin of her shoulders. She was a sight to be seen. Her hand was wrapped around her father's arm tightly. When she was close enough, she smiled a smile that almost sent him to his knees.

The officiant, a member of the Imperium, stepped forward. "To whom gives this Lady away to marry this man?"

"I, Duke Leto Atreides." He turned his head to look at Mildred. His heart broke. It was a happy breaking, but at the same time, he didn't want to give her away. He gently kissed her cheek. "I loved you first."

"I know." She whispered.

Leto turned to look at Gurney and shook his hand. He took Mildred's right hand and placed into Gurney's right hand before stepping down to sit next to Jessica. Mildred looked up at Gurney, trying to find some sort of emotion on his face. He winked at her, just for her to see, and she smiled up at him.

"Dearly beloved, we are here today in this hall to witness the joining of Lady Mildred Atreides and Gurney Halleck in marriage according to the Emperer's law." The officiant began. "Before we begin, I would like to read a passage that the groom has chosen; No sooner met but they looked, no sooner looked but they loved, no sooner loved but they sighed, no sooner sighed but they asked one another the reason, no sooner knew the reason but they sought the remedy; and in these degrees have they made a pair of stairs to marriage."

Mildred had no idea that Gurney had chosen a passage to be read, but then again, it was typical Gurney fashion. She loved that he had done it.

"Therefore, Lady Mildred and Gurney have descended the steps, stand in front of one another, ready to declare their love and commitment to each other and in front of the world." The officiant continued and turned to Gurney. "Do you, Gurney Halleck, take Lady Mildred Atreides, to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

Gurney looked at Mildred. "I do."

"Do you, Lady Mildred, take Gurney Halleck, to be your lawfully wedded husband?" The officiant asked.

"I do."

"Gurney, please repeat after me; I, Gurney, take you Lady Mildred to be my wife, to have and to hold until the end of my days. I promise to serve, honor and love you, forsaking all others."

When Gurney spoke the words, he gently squeezed her hand and spoke quietly for only her to hear. She could hear him trying to keep his voice monotoned.

"Lady Mildred, please repeat after me; I, Mildred, take you Gurney to be my husband, to have and to hold until the end of my days. I promise to serve, honor and love you, forsaking all others."

Mildred could feel happy tears forming with every word she spoke. It felt like a fever dream. She was actually standing there marrying Gurney. It was something she had imagined for so long. She knew the next thing to happen would be the rings. They both had chosen different rings for each other. Her's would be a simple, dainty band. His would be thicker, dark metal.

Gurney slipped the ring on her finger gently. "With this ring, I thee wed."

Mildred did the same, but with shaking hands. "With this ring, I tee wed."

"With these public promises and vows, and the symbolic exchange of wedding bands, I now pronounce you, husband and wife. Gurney, you may now kiss Lady Mildred." The officiant spoke.

Mildred knew Gurney would only give her a small kiss. His hand held onto her waist as he bent down to press his lips against her's. She felt cheers erupt around her and she couldn't help but giggle. She didn't look at the crowd though. She kept her eyes firmly planted on her husband. Husband. It had a nice sound to it.

"I love you." She said to him.

"I love you." He returned and offered his arm for her to take just as celebratory trumpets sounded.

They would walk back down the aisle and be allowed a few minutes alone before having to go into the dining hall for the reception. She looked at her family who were all smiling widely at the two of them. She looked at Bene Gesserit her mother had invited and they were scowling in disapproval. Then the Emperor's representatives. Their expressions scared her the most since they bore no emotions.

"Did you see the representatives faces?" Was the first thing Mildred asked Gurney once they had a moment alone.

"Mildred..." Gurney warned.

"I know. I'm sorry." She closed her eyes, calming herself for a minute before opening them. "Hello."

He reached to gently touch her cheek. "My wife."

She closed the space between the two of them. His hand snaked around her waist, pulling her until she was flush against him. "My husband. Do you like my dress?"

"Oh, yes. You look...radiant." He told her.

"I feel radiant." She said. "This is real."

"Very real."

"Are you happy?" She asked.

He chuckled and pressed a kiss to her head. "I think I'm the happiest man in the world."

"Well, shall we go inside and celebrate?"

"I think that's a lovely idea."