For a whole month, Gally successfully avoid conflict and walked around the Glade on eggshells. He became quiet, sullen. Almost a ghost. No one seemed to mind that he'd retreated into his own, silent and lonely world. All that gave was more evidence to Gally which said the Glade was better off without his influence.

Y/N had spent that whole month also walking on eggshells, curious about Gally. Sure, she had been told many stories about how he wasn't worth getting to know. That, eventually, he'd lash out and hurt her if she tried. But, she didn't necessarily believe that.

No story ever contained evidence that he'd ever actually hurt someone. What Y/N understood from all the stories which detailed all the bad things Gally had said, it had all been done in reaction to Gally trying to protect the other Gladers from doing something stupid. Most of all, everyone seemed to just believe he was scary because of the fighting ring on bonfire nights where he'd gone undefeated.

She hadn't gotten to fight on her bonfire night, but tonight, there might just be a chance for her.

He did seem a little unpredictable and closed off, but Y/N was sure there was more to it all.

Y/N knelt down behind a stack of boxes by Gally's workstation. She peered over them slightly, watching him. She was just trying to understand what made him so worthy of being hated. Right now, he looked quite at peace and anyone who came to ask a question he happily answered and continued working quietly.

The girl sneezed. She could't help it. It was always so much dustier around the builders section of the Glade. She ducked, but it was too late. Gally had spotted her and she smiled nervously.

For a moment, Gally was stuck wide-eyed with his heart hammering against his chest. Once he got control over his senses, he did a double take at the girl and then turned so his back was facing her.

So, Y/N tried again. At lunch, she ran to catch up to Gally as he walked towards Frypan. He heard her coming up from behind, panicked, and began to walk faster. She almost had him until Minho intercept and took her in the opposite direction, blabbering about something he saw in the maze.

Finally, the evening rolled around. Now, she was determined. One way or another, she was going to crack the situation open.

"You have a bone to pick with Gally, love?" Newt asked, shoving Y/N's shoulder. They sat side by side at the fire and Newt had taken notice to the fact she hadn't been listening to him.

"I—no." Y/N tried to refocus. "I just—how did Gally end up like that?"

"Like what?" Newt stifled a laugh.

"The day I showed up in the box, he was the first to help me. And then everyone pushed him away like...like he was going to hurt me. Since then, I've hardly spoken a word to him."

"Listen, love." Newt leaned back a little, watching the fight currently going on. "He's been through a lot, just like the rest of us. Somedays, it's hard to tell how he'll react to things. So, it's best to try and avoid any messes by leaving him alone."

"And pushing him away all the time?" Y/N asked sadly. "Maybe he wants to be involved but feels alienated."

"...he seems like a good person." She trailed off.

"He is good. Gally and I were once better friends." Newt admit. "But he started snapping, and in order to keep the peace, Alby asked I keep him in check. I didn't know what to do other than to just...tell him to go away when things started heating up. Now, it's a bad habit on all our behalves."

Y/N furrowed her brows and looked to Newt sadly. She could see the guilt in his eyes and the regret swelling around him. "Ever think about taking to him?"