Chapter 39

When The Party's Over By Billie Eilish

No Perspective

(Flashback Harry's 10th Birthday)

February 1st, 1994

The day Harry was born.

Usually, your parents would remember your birthday, right? Be happy together, maybe throw a party for you, maybe give you a present.

Well, Harry's parents basically always forgot.

He turns the big ten one 0 today.

And his only wish is for his parents to remember.

His dad lives in Staten Island since his parents are divorced, Harry lives with his mom and baby sister Ava in California.

Even though Harry has a tough relationship with his father, he hopes he'll show up.

"Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday!" His sister Ava sings to him as she jumps on his bed.

"Ava, I need some sleep" Harry yawns turning over.

"No, Harry it's your birthday, no time for sleep" Ava pokes his shoulder. "I know you wanna see the present I got you"

He had a smile on his face for once, when he heard the word present he was so ecstatic.

Because he rarely gets presents.

Harry and Ava walk down together in the living room, as Harry holds her hand so she doesn't fall.

Ava runs with her little legs as she grabs a blue box which is Harry's present. "Here you go Harry, I made it all myself" she smiles with her two front teeth missing.

"Thank you, Ava, but you didn't need to get me anything"

"Yeah I do, your my brother and best friend, please open, open"

It always warms up Harry's heart when she says she's his best friend.

He opens it and it's a painting of her and him on a beach, they love going to the beach  in the summertime it's there favorite activity to do together. She's only 5 so it's a little messy but he loves it more than anything.

"Thank you so much, I love the painting, you did a great job," he says giving her a big hug.

All of a sudden they hear the door ring, Harry goes to it but doesn't open it because his mom isn't here, she's probably sleeping.

"Oh Harry it's okay, it's daddy," Ava says as she looks out the window. "You can open the door"

Harry would do anything else but to open the door, but he has to do it. He opens it and he sees his father, he gives Harry a nod then pushes past him.

Harry got no hello, no how are you, no Happy Birthday, no hug, no kiss, nothing from his dad that day.

"Hey Ava, how's my little girl doing?" he asks her as he hugs and kisses her.

"Ooo present, is that for Harry? I didn't think you'll show up" Ava points as he holds out a brown bag.

Harry got happy at first because maybe his father does remember his birthday. He looks over at Harry confused and then back at Ava.

"Well I had the weekend off I wanted to visit you, sweetie this is for you" he kneels to her height level, pulls out of the bag an American girl doll. "I hope you like it, I wanted to give you something because you won the 1st-grade spelling bee.