Chapter 29

i'm sorry i hurt the babies

'I am still curious to know what they dreamed of but, it can wait until later -- when they're ready to talk about it.'

You and Alcina stayed like that for a while before she turned her head to glance at the door, gaining your attention. The moment the girls began to stir, you figured Isa was bringing breakfast finally. You watched Alcina sit up and managed to see the door open -- another maid assisting Isa in bringing breakfast for everyone. Once the two had set down the plates and glasses of wine, Cassandra sat up and reached for Isa's uniform, stopping them in their tracks as the other maid left and shut the door behind her.

"Stay." The girls demanded once Isa had glanced back at them, concern quickly filling their hazel eyes.

"...Alright," They breathed out, adjusting their uniform when Cassandra let go. "I'll stay but all of you need to eat."

"You can't order us around." Daniela grumbled, burying her face in Cassandra's shoulder. "Tell them, Cass!"

"Dani says you can't order us around, so you can't order us around."

Isa let out a low and exasperated sigh, eyes shifting over to Alcina as she let out a low chuckle. It was obvious that this was normal for the girls -- which only made you want to stay around them more often. Isa shook their head and handed out the food and drinks, standing off to the side as we all ate -- Cassandra shifting slightly closer to you when she finished her meal.

After everyone finished eating, Isa took the plates and wine glasses, heading towards the door once it had opened. You shifted your gaze to the girls -- who were all watching Isa and the maid closely, clearly trying to see if the maid would flirt with them. Bela was the first to notice you watching them, her gold eyes filling with regret and sorrow before she looked away from your gaze.

That raised a lot of alarms for you. Not just because she looked away, but because she had no reason to regret anything she had said or done to you. Her sisters soon did the same thing -- the same look in their eyes as well. It concerned you greatly but, you also didn't want to push them into telling you what happened. You glanced down at your lap before deciding to lay down again, staring at the ceiling as you waited for something -- anything -- to happen.

Cassandra silently laid her head on your stomach again, letting her arm drape over your body. Your eyes shifted to her sisters and noticed their nervous forms -- the both of them occasionally glancing at you. A soft sigh fell from your lips and caused the three to jump, further confusing and worrying you.

"I don't know what you three dreamed of," You started and felt your heart break a bit when they began fidgeting. "But whatever it is, you can tell us about it."

"W-well..." Bela trailed, leaning against Isa and fidgeting with their uniform. "I'm not sure what they dreamed of bu-but you uhm... You died protecting me."

'Oh...'

"That happened in mine too." Daniela whispered out, wrapping her arms around herself.

"Same here." Cassandra sighed, gripping the cloth of your outfit.

'That explains it...'

"My ladies," You started, taking a deep breath to gather the rest of your thoughts. "There's no need to be upset about that. If I die protecting you, it means I care deeply for you -- so deeply that I throw caution to the wind. I'm mortal. So if I sacrifice myself, it means I value you more than my own life, and it will hurt in the beginning if it ever happens, but just know that I died happy if I ever die saving one of you."

The girls remained silent for a moment before tears began soaking your outfit, a low growl leaving the brunette that quickly sat up and glared at you with teary eyes. You knew your words would upset her specifically -- she did know you the best out of the Dimitrescu family -- so you weren't bothered by her growling and glaring. Instead, you reached a hand up and wiped away some of her tears and tried to ignore the ache in your chest when her body began trembling.

"Cassandra." Alcina's voice cut through the air, causing her daughter to gasp for air -- making you realize that she hadn't been breathing for a moment there. "Girls. I promise you, [Y/N] won't die and you three will never be in danger. Now, how about you three cuddle her, and Isa, could you go make some snacks for all of us? We'll be in here all day."

"Of course, my lady." Isa dipped their head and waited for Bela to reluctantly let them go.

Cassandra moved over you and settled between yourself and her mother, resting her head on your shoulder as her grip on your outfit returned. Daniela curled into your side and rested her head on your stomach, allowing Bela to shift closer and rest her head on your shoulder. You let your arms wrap around Bela and Cassandra before turning your attention to their mother, noticing the sad look in her eyes.

She had clearly never seen them so distraught over someone that wasn't family -- it shook you to your core to see Cassandra like that so you couldn't imagine how her mother was feeling. You shifted your hand away from Cassandra and rested it on top of Alcina's earning her attention immediately. Something flashed in her eyes -- something Basil had once described as longing.

'No, it can't be that. She said so herself -- "I could never love you". Then what was that look all about?'

You offered her a faint, reassuring smile to let her know that her daughters are okay so she doesn't need to be so worried right now. Soft snoring soon came from the three freezing masses that clung to you, causing you and their mother to let out quiet chuckles. Alcina's hand shifted under yours before holding it, earning your undivided attention.

"Don't ever put yourself in the position to die."

"Is that an order?"

"It is."

"For their sake?"

"...Yes..." The 'yes' was soft and immediately let you know that wasn't the whole truth.

"...My lady..."

A Thief's Tale [lady dimitrescu x fem!reader] [COMPLETE]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara