Chapter 23

'Can't believe someone would be stupid enough to steal from the lady...' You paused in your actions and sighed, letting your head lightly thud against the bookshelf. "Right... I tried that and ended up in this situation."

"Tried what and ended up in what situation?"

You froze at lady DImitrescu's voice, turning slightly before bowing to her. It baffled you that she was here but, it also gave you the chance to tell her the truth and that you were working on finding out who took the lipstick. You cleared your throat as you watched her move to one of the couches, making your way to her side.

"I was just reminiscing about how I ended up working here." You stated, offering her a book. "By the way, my lady, I found your lipstick and Isa is working on finding the maid since they have more ways of finding these things out."

"Ah, the short guard." Lady Dimitrescu mused, a faint smile on her face. "They do have impressive ways of finding information on maids so, that was a wise choice. Do you really want to call me those pet names that bad?"

"I care more about making an example out of the maid, my lady. I know thieving is what got me this job but, at least I wasn't trying to steal something so personal to you."

"You're right, you were just trying to steal every other valuable you could get your hands on."

"Easily replaceable thing -- unlike your lipstick. I know that's special made."

"I still haven't forgiven you for trying to steal from me." She mused, opening the book in her hands.

"And what would I have to do to get you to forgive me for that?" You inquired, a faint smirk on your face.

"Once the maid is found, kill her for me."

You tensed at her words, questioning if you'd even be able to kill the maid. Sure, you didn't car when the ladies killed maids but, you weren't sure if you could ever do it yourself. When you noticed the lady had turned her attention to you, you cleared your throat and forced a smile before nodding at her request. Even if you didn't think you could do it, you still had to try.

Her eyes held slight concern after you agreed but she went back to focusing on the book, dismissing you to continue your cleaning. Fighting vampires was normal for you but, to kill a human? You were seriously considering telling her you couldn't do it. In the end, you were still human but at the same time, humans had never done anything for you.