Chapter 20

Sleeping had been cathartic, Sugas weary mind had been rejuvenated, and his soul had been cleansed. No matter what outcome he now faced, he knew he would be ready. He loved Daichi, but that foundation of love no longer gripped him like a vice. He loved his friends enough, and himself enough to let go rather than hold on and die. So once he had left the clearing with most of his friends, he had finally located Daichi. 

Standing by the ravine, he was a tall silhouette, rugged against the moonlight. Suga approached, muffling his footsteps and quieting his breathing. "Lovely night for a walk. Or hike, rather." Daichi looked at Suga side on, and they studied each other. Despite earlier thoughts of bravado, the man still took Sugas breath away. 

But not in that form of immediate attraction, but in a way that lasts. The way a couple truly in love may regard one another from their twenties to eighties. The eye crinkles and your mouth starts to smile even if you think it can't. Suga held his hand out slightly, and Daichi held it like a lifeline, and for the moment they just breathed. 

"I'm not with her, you know." 

Suga sighed. "I thought you might say that."

Daichi squeezed just a little harder, and continued. "That night, you asked me why I wasn't with her. And I hesitated, because in those moments I wasn't thinking of her at all. Hadn't been thinking of her for a while. She broke up with me because she found it so painfully obvious I was in love with you."

Suga nodded, breathing in slowly. The hand he held glowed thanks to leftover bioluminescence. In fact, Suga himself was a little brighter. "And over the past few months, after the denial and the anger and the pain, I realised she was right. That if I had that moment again, I wouldn't hesitate. I wouldn't panic. I would say I was there for you and only you because no one else mattered. And now I get a do-over. "

He turned so they faced each other, and though something Suga swooned, another part was standing strong. Just as it had in those months. "I wanted to tell you, and let you know. And well- now its your turn." 

Suga looked out over the ravine. The wind ruffled his hair, lingered on the back of his neck. A silent promise that he was safe. Birds flew through the dark sky, and the park was alive with sound, with a language he knew. His feet were planted like deep roots, and blades of grass traced his feet, anchoring him there. Another breath, and some leaves danced on the wind, a flower started to bloom in the night. Everything was steady, as the forest held its breath. 

He began, the feeling sure in his heart. "With the others, it might not be as obvious. Their hanahaki was healing slightly even as mine worsened. In the end it didn't matter." Daichi rubbed distracting circles over the setters palm. But the feel of the grass kept him here, and gave him strength."But they fell asleep with the hope that when they woke up, their partner would be there. For me, there wasn't any hope. Because I knew for a fact I would awake with them. But not with you." He now let go of Daichis hand. 

"To survive that, I had to change, To love myself, and Atsumu and Oikawa more than I loved you. To be my own foundation." He walked closer to the edge of the ravine. "I have loved you for years, since the first day I saw you. It was all-consuming, crazy young love. But now, I have experienced different things. The heartbreak of hanahaki. The pulsing throb of loneliness. And the absolute blessing of friendship."

Daichi stood watching Suga as he walked backwards towards the ravine. "I'm free, Daichi. I get to live for me now. And in time, I know I'll still love you. I always will. But for now..."

He smiled. 

"I wanna love me more." 

_______________________________

There was a shout from the ravine. 

Oikawa had felt the change in the air, the whips of the wind. His smile grew as leaves danced round his head, and he rolled away from Iwa. He spun slowly, and grabbed his boyfriends hand. Together they ran through the forest, branches and stones moving, Oikawa never placing a foot wrong. Atsumu joined them with Osamu by his side, Oikawa and Atsumu exchanging crazy grins. Iwa and Osamu shrugged at one another, and Osamu let go first, Atsumu shooting ahead and swinging up into a tree branch, more elegant than he had ever been. 

Oikawa stared after him, then down at his clasped hand. At Iwa. Hajime sighed, and let go. Oikawa squealed, and Atsumu yanked him up into the tree, they sprinted along limbs, heading straight for the clearing. Oikawa dove and rolled onto the branch of another tree, Atsumu following. They ran as fast as they could then faster, the crowd camped in the clearing starting to panic. 

There were cries of 'stop' and 'there isn't anyway they could-' but they were cut off. Because as surreal as it seemed, the thick branch bent low, and the two setters were thrown into the air, spinning and flipping through the night. Two lonesome shooting stars, plummeting down to the Earth below.

Or at least they would, if there weren't ungodly amounts of creeper vines attached to a rather large fig. They grabbed on, and disappeared into the foliage. 

_____________________

"Don't you see Daichi? I'm free." Suga was still walking back, spotting the two silhouettes flying through the canopy towards him. 

"Get away from the edge, Koushi."

Oikawa and Atsumu dropped silently to the grassy floor. 

"No."

The water in the ravine rose, if only slightly. It moved quickly to the park, until eventually it reached the waterfall. The shrine looked on, passively, and Suga glanced at it if only for a moment. 

Atsumu and Oikawa removed their shirts, patting Daichi on the back. 

"Yer too sensitive. This ain't gonna hurt us." 

Oikawa had a mock pout as he skipped backwards. Osamu and Iwaizumi arrived at the ravine, panting a little. Oikawa posed and gave them a mock salute. The rest filed in through the trees. 

"You see, when you have been posing as a leaf for as long as we have, you learn some little things. " 

Atsumu linked his arms with Suga's and Oikawa's. "Like how to fall." 

The three turned and jumped. 

______________________________________________

Hello! Extra long chapter because of how long I've been gone. Some of you asked when the next one would be out, and months later (sorry) here it is! Some things have been a bit rough lately and writing helped to calm down. So there will maybe be come more chapters up. I hope you enjoy!