Chapter 10

They knew they were making their way up the mountain, and could hear their footsteps. They didn't let it stop them from dancing, on and on. Asahi arrived first, having heard the music. They shut off the lights of their flowers and held each other's hands as they ran through the forest, feeling their feet keep rhythm. There were shouts as someone found their clearing where their petals had created a soft carpet. 

So they ran to their treehouse and let their skin glow and their eyes began to close. Their breaths synced up as their vines tightened even more. But somehow they did not feel the pain.

Footsteps below as their senses were slowly released from their drunken prison. There was a rattle as someone climbed their tree. Atsumu was closest to the edge and opened his eyes, turning his head to the side. This caused a flower to partially cover one of his eyes, so it was no wonder he thought he was hallucinating when when he saw Sakusa, with his ruffled hair and big eyes. No mask though. 

 Atsumu was feeling the effects of the alcohol they had two hours earlier rub off slightly. Suga grabbed a sleeping Oikawa and pulled him out of the treehouse, where they sat on the soft grass below. 

"Atsumu..." But Sakusa was cut off when the blonde covered his mouth with his hands. 

"Not yet, Kiyomi. Because when you say you don't love me back then a flower will grow from my mouth and I won't be able to breathe. And I don't want you to have to lie and say you like me so I'll live. So you can be quiet, it is enough for you to here while I die. That is enough for me." Sakusa grabbed his hands and lowered them.

"Is that really what you think, Tsumu? That I don't love you?" Atsumu looked straight up and let a glowing tear fall down his face.

"It is not like there is a chance for an alternative. I don't even know whether you are gay, Sakusa. I am, by the way. Very deeply gay. And a little drunk. By the way, what do you think of my flowers? They are your favourites, you know."

"Stop trying to change the subject and answer my question, Atsumu."

Atsumu dramatically sighed and looked at Sakusa. "I heard what you said at the training camp, that you couldn't think of me that way. But I have already told you that it's okay. If only you had read my note. Then you might understand."

Sakusa started chuckling, then it turned into a big bellied laugh. He pulled himself into the treehouse and hugged Atsumu from behind, who was a blushing mess. 

"I said that I couldn't think of you as a friend, you big idiot." Atsumu froze, with his eyes wide. For a second Sakusa thought he was dead, but the trembling in his hand gave him away.

"Still, if it wasn't one sided we wouldn't be in this predicament, would we? Now shut yer trap, and stop lying to make me feel better."

Sakusa let out an indignant sigh, God, why does Atsumu have to make this so hard?

"This is probably your  worst nightmare. You, a straight male, are sitting, hugging someone covered in flowers and glowing muck, in the middle of an unsanitary treehouse, after that person just ruined yer friendship. Oh, and you have to watch them die. That is my biggest problem right now Sakusa. So if ya don't mind..."

Atsumu leapt up from Sakusa's embrace and started climbing the tree. 

The vines made it easier to hold on, and wrapped round the bark. He left glowing foot and handprints though, so it was not like Sakusa had trouble following him. 

They were in a large fig tree, that reached high into the sky. Atsumu found a limb, reasonably high up, and walked along it. He had no fear of falling. Perhaps some broken bones would speed up his demise. 

"Atsumu, what are you doing? Can you come here please?" Astumu felt himself waver at the tone, the exasperation. It was almost playful in a way. 

"I'm just trying to save you. I'm not sure if you can become a flower this high up and away from the soil, but there is one way to find out."

Just as he went to reach for another branch to haul himself higher, Atsumu felt arms encircle his waist. Sakusa let his head fall onto Atsumu back as he squeezed him tight. 

"Last time I let you go you ended up dying on a mountain in the middle of the night. I am not making the same mistake again." 

"Why are you doing this?" Atsumu steadied them on the limb. He wouldn't turn around. 

"If you come back to the treehouse I'll tell you. I'll tell you everything you already are to me, and everything I would like you to be. But first, we have to come down." His voice was husky in Tsumu's ear, and he felt his toes curl. 

The descent through the tree was much slower, and Sakusa was always one step behind Atsumu. Whenever he slipped, Sakusa would grab him by the waist. It was driving Atsumu crazy. And it was not like he could hide his blush, seeing as he was like a human glow stick. 

When they reached the treehouse again, Atsumu tried to walk to the other end, but Sakusa grabbed his arm and pulled him back against his chest. "I think I like talking to you like this." Astumu gulped. 

They sat. 

"First off, I am gay. How did you put it? Very, deeply gay. Secondly, the only thing nightmarish about this situation is that you could have died if it weren't for Suga drunken calling us all. Thirdly.." 

Atsumu felt every point of contact, and heard every word. They went straight to his heart, and it started to believe again. What have I got to lose? 

Sakusa turned Atsumu's head towards him, and said, "I love you, you big idiot." Atsumu was crying again, but this time from happiness as he tackled Sakusa, who responded by giving him a big kiss that turned Atsu beet red.

It was Sakusa's turn to blush then. "Oh sorry, I should have asked you first!" Atsumu smiled and said, "Well I am not sure if you noticed, Omi-omi, but I have had a crush on you for a while, so I think it's okay if you kiss me." The flowers in his hair started to wilt. Sakusa held one full glowing blossom in his hand. "They're beautiful, you know." He held Atsu's face in his hands. "But they are amazing when paired with you."

Atsumu gave him a quick kiss, before going a bit woozy. "Bit too much alcohol, I think." 

Sakusa got out of the tree then grabbed Atsumu by the waist to help lift him down. He frowned at how light he was. He carried him bridal style as his love fell asleep against his chest. Sakusa kissed his forehead and the spider-thin vines along his face receded. He put their foreheads gently together and walked to the middle of the clearing, still cradling Atsu. He sat with him in his lap, and watched the stars make their descent across the sky. 

He knew he should get Osamu, tell him his brother would be okay, but there, under the stars and holding the most beautiful person in the world safe in his arms, Sakusa realised that there was no other place he would rather be, germs and all. Because Atsumu was his home.

I am home. 

___________________________________

I am uploading the same day as Chapter Nine, but y'all have been good to me so you deserve it. Ignore me crying in the corner at how sweet this was. A longer chapter for you all, because remember, this also has ~f l u f f ~. Vote, comment and have a great day.