Chapter 3

Suga called Big Sis who drove them down to Suga's house. They all cried in the back seat and hid the petals from her, but she knew. Hanahaki was a disease of legend, and everyone had at least one story relating to the petals. She dropped them off, but just before she left pulled Suga aside. "I won't tell anyone, but Suga, you might die. You need to know that before you do anything. Please, be safe." 

With a nod, Suga walked inside to join the others. His parents were out and it was the weekend so Atsumu and Oikawa called their parents to say they would be staying over. They went online and watched a documentary about Hanahaki, and hugged each other the whole time.

Hanahaki, the lovers poison,

It comes for those who have fragile hearts, its vines wrap around your lungs. You cough up petals and blood, and soon the original flower type is stained red with your blood. From there you cough up whole flowers. It is harder and harder to breathe. 

The longer you are with the one you love but who doesn't love you back, the faster the vines wrap round your heart. From contraction the affected usually have one month until the disease finally takes over and the flower of your beloved sprouts from your mouth, and you die. 

As symptoms progress you may find vines wrapped around your skin, as your body becomes a flower itself. Those you pass from Hanahaki are usually planted in gardens where they become the most beautiful of plants. To cure Hanahaki you must confess or be confessed to by the one you love. From there you must indulge in some kind of romantic physical contact so your body knows that the danger has passed and the flower around your heart can finally wilt.

The documentary finished, and they all looked at each other. "One month, huh?" Atsumu said. They all nodded. Oikawa spoke. "How about we call in sick? Say we have pneumonia or something. Our friends and... and they don't have to know. It would only hurt them." Suga and Atsumu nodded in agreement. "What a beautiful way to die..." Atsumu whispered as he stared out the window.

The next morning Suga woke up with a little pile of blood that had come from his mouth. The others were the same. He shook them awake and they removed their pillowcases down to the wash, shaking off the petals. They dressed and started cleaning and cooking, making a feast. "Eat like it's your last day, right?" said Oikawa before they started. They left the house and went for a walk, chasing after the fading sunlight. On Sunday Atsumu woke them early planning on  taking a trip down to the beach. 

It wasn't very enjoyable though. They could only run and splash around for so long until something caused a coughing fit. They left early. 

Oikawa's words were ringing in all their heads. Like it's your last day.  They did not have forever left. Time was slipping through their hands like sand, and everytime they tried to reach for more vines circled their hands. Monday rolled around and they stayed in bed. 

Atsumu had been coughing a lot more lately, after Sakusa had sent him a caring message asking about his health. Eventually their phones started blowing up with calls from the school and their friends, but Suga emailed Karasuno from his parents computer to say he would be absent for a few days and Atsumu and Oikawa texted their friends to say they were sick. Oikawa had a violent coughing fit and wheezed when Iwaizumi sent him a text about how much he missed him. 

Suga turned his phone off. Slowly, throughout the day they each told each other how their separate interactions had gone. They could only do it in bits and pieces because the flowers tried to keep the words in. At one point they resorted to writing it instead because talking hurt too much. 

They comforted each other, but whether the scenes had been misinterpreted or not, there was only one cure. And after the previous day they knew it was not an option. 

__________________________________________

Geography doesn't exist here, don't ask. As usual, vote, comment and I hope y'all enjoy reading this as much as I like to write it