Chapter 6

Sakusa had been waiting for Atsumu. Wanting to corner him. The truth was he didn't have to stay with relatives, but he saw that something was off with Atsumu and he wanted to check. He was always worrying about the blonde setter. 

And there he was, rounding the corner. He paused when he saw Sakusa, masks and all. He coughed a little, into his hand. But Sakusa ignored the urge to run, because Atsumu was hurting, and he could see it. 

"Sakusa."

"Tsumu."

They stared at each other for what felt like an eternity. The two of them, orbiting one another, destined to crash and burn. But the only difference was that Atsumu had been burning for a long time now.

"Atsumu, I want to know whether you are alright. I have done some research, and it looks like you are suffering from depression? I am not sure, it's not like I know what is going on in your mind but the signs are there and..." Sakusa paused. "I probably sound like a nuisance to you now. But you are a good... a good friend. I don't like it when my friends are hurting."

For a minute there, when Sakusa was blabbing on like an embarrassed teen asking someone to prom, he let himself believe. But there it was, the word friend. The vines tightened and flowers tore their way up his throat. He started coughing into a handkerchief to hide the evidence, and when Sakusa started to walk over he waved him away.

Atsumu had to deal with this on his own.

"Omi-omi. I will be alright. You don't have to check on me, or make sure I am okay. I already have a brother for that. Just... just make sure that you yourself are happy. The happiest person you can be, ya hear? That's all I want you to do. Now leave a poor setter alone and go wherever you need to."

Atumu shook his head and powered right by Sakusa. He felt a tug on his sleeve when Sakusa reached for him, but hesitated. He continued on.

"Atsumu, just make sure you actually are alright, okay? You are stronger than whatever this is. So just know I am always here." Sakusa was blushing under his mask, and in his haze Atsumu failed to notice. 

"I'll be careful. But if you don't mind, it's time for me to go home."

Atsumu walked away from him with tears in his eyes and a smile on his face. 

He closed his eyes and let the vines tighten as they would, had to pause to cough up more flowers than ever before in a bush. He let his arms dangle loosely by his sides. 

This part was easy, he thought. He could be swept up in the tide of emotion. Since he saw that petal in his hand during his wild dash through Nekoma, Atsumu thought there was no hope. He let himself be swallowed by despair. But now there was a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Sakusa had been worrying about him, and he let his heart swallow it up in a greedy gulp. Sakusa could never love him back, who could? But right now, he loved himself enough. He loved Sakusa enough. 

He had told Sakusa to be happy. Told him to be the best he could. A weight had been lifted. After seeing Sakusa healthy and alive, it confirmed something for him. Sakusa would live on, glorious and beautiful. He would pull others into his orbit. He would be amazing. In the end that was all he wanted him to be. The world could do without one Miya twin, his precious Omi-omi could do without. For the first time Atsumu felt free.

Because Sakusa could be happy. Skausa could recover from the loss of a friend, could find a partner and live his life.

Atsumu could make sure of it. 

_________________________________________

Just loving the angsty chapters aren't we. *insert crying face*. Anywhoo, as I am sure you have guessed Iwaoi is up next! These chapters have been a little short recently as we approach what I am guessing is halfway? Don't worry there is still a great deal to go. Credit to the artists and comment if you would like. I'll upload again very soon, probably in another half an hour because I really am on a writing roll.