Chapter 14

Atsumu groaned as he rubbed sleep from his eyes, and sat up. He looked and saw Oikawa and Suga on either side of him. Yawning he slowly shook them awake. Oikawa began to stretch as Suga's eyes fluttered open. 

He looked around, eyes widening at the sight of the park he was in. He shook Oikawa awake, marvelling at the quiet serenity the darkness afforded, his mouth opening in a smile. 

"Guys, look." The wonderment was evident in his voice. Their grove was filled with flowers, and shrine above seemed to glow. There was a tired looking woman beside them, dozing off in a chair. 

Oikawa put his fingers to the others lips as they stood, marvelling at the sparkly shein on their skin. 

When they stood, it was as if they had spent their entire coma stretching, their limbs were long and limber, in perfect condition. All previous marks had faded, and they saw that their shirts had been removed. Flowers fell from their lithe bodies and they emerged triumphant from their beds, having conquered their endless sleep.

Their blossoms wilted as they passed through, vines fell away from their skin which emitted a soft glow in the twinkle of the stars. 

Calm. Even though they had woken up in the forest, with gossamer skin, a flower bed and a stranger nearby, they were calm. Steady. It was almost like they were meant to be here. 

Oikawa walked over to the woman, every step precise and graceful, with no fear of falling. He slowed his breathing, knowing that not as much oxygen was needed to keep him alive. A ghost in the night, he gently lifted her chin with his fingers, marvelling at her face. Where he touched glowed too, before fading. He saw letters poking out through her bag, many titled 'Unknown'. 

He ruffled through and produced and invitation, to a special graduation. Oikawa took a sharp, instinctive breath that pulled the others from their admirative stupor. Suga walked over and plucked the invitation, and smiled sadly as he read who it was being held for. 

"We waited too long, let the park have us for much too long." Even his voice had changed, it was now sweeter, and dripped through the air like honey. Each of them were like a alternate version of themselves, freed from the burdens previous to their slumber.

Atsumu grinned, bolting through the park. They felt his presence leave them, circling through the trees. He was faster than before, or at least he was in the cradle of the park. 

Suga and Oikawa dusted off imaginary lint and only then noticed their pants, clean and comfortable, though surprisingly creaseless. Atsumu landed silently on the grass, with flushed cheeks. 

"Amazing, this is incredible. I can feel you," he showed his palms to the others, "without even having to touch you!" Suga and Oikawa smiled in return, and some of their giddiness returned. But it was dampened when Atsumu pointed to the invite in Suga's hand.

Atsumu tilted his head, then his eyes widened with a sudden fear. He drifted over to the woman and started to rummage through her bag as quietly as he could, searching for something, anything to tell him. 

It ended up beeping on her lap. Ever so gently he took it and tapped the screen of the phone. 

He paled, and so did Oikawa when he saw the date. He started counting back in his head. 

"Three months. We have been asleep for that long? When I decided to- I didn't think-" Oikawa placed a hand over his mouth and used a thumb to brush away a crystalline tear. 

No words were needed, a raise of an eyebrow, a tiny nod. So long inside each others minds and actions told just as much a story as dialect. 

As one they bolted down through the shrubbery. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Graduation. What had once seemed a figment of the future was now almost upon the grieving trio. After the initial tossing of hats and speeches, there was another service held. Iwaizumi, Osamu, Sakusa and Daichi were there, along with their teams and many others. 

Ushijima was called upon to make a speech. He walked to the podium of the hall, in long flowing robes. The Karasuno assembly hall was filled with volleyball players coming to pay their respects, honoring the three that could not make it. 

"The reason we are gathered here today may not be cause for celebration, but I believe there are some things we can marvel at, perhaps commemorate in our own time. The passing of time, the people we have loved and lost." Ushijima, usually so stoic was struggling with articulating his message. He wanted to help, to hand out words of encouragement to the despairing faces below him. 

"Oikawa-" his voice cracked. Tendou was surprised at the change in his boyfriend, though he thought it was to be expected. He had never seen his precious Ushi this distraught before. Though there was certainly cause. 

Wakatoshi let out a strangled chuckle. The audience could almost hear his grief, and the burden of the speech which had been placed upon his shoulders. 

They had thought he was strong enough, but there were cracks in his armour. 

"Who am I kidding. Losing them, having that little seed of hope crushed, and watching so many people cry, it hurts. So no, there is nothing to celebrate tonight." Tendou rushed onto the podium and Ushi hugged him. "I wish-" There was a beat of silence, punctuated by the occasional sniffle. 

"I wish they were here."

The silence was pierced by a call. The sound was so blaring and unattractive that half the guests winced at the intrusion. But they quickly found their peace when they saw the caller ID. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author is back! We approach the end of the story as our beloved boys wake up. Who do you think called? Why do you think it made everyone pause? Anyways just the usual, vote, comment and read my new one shot if you feel like being nice.