Chapter 5

TW: Mentions of self-harm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey Suga, can I talk to you for a minute?"

Suga turned to see Daichi jogging towards him. Practice had just ended, and still pretending he had a cold, Suga had managed to hide his vines under a long t-shirt and pants. But he still hurt when he turned around to see his crush, the man he loved coming towards him.

It was like staring into the sun, or straight at a star. Blinded by the brilliance of it. 

He knew from the others that Daichi had gone out with the girl in the end, and that their relationship was new and promising. Suga would not let his problems get in the middle of that.

"Hey Suga." Daichi gave him a sideways glance, and Suga replied to him, grimacing. "Hey." Suga looked around for his phone so that he could get a convenient call, but Daichi was holding it in his hand. "Suga, I want the truth from you. And you are not getting this until I get that. A trade?" He looked a little desperate.

"Look, I don't see what the problem is. I am fine, Daichi." Even saying his name hurt Suga's lungs. He hadn't coughed since the vines started, but he could feel the tell-tale tingle now.

"No, you are not. Long sleeves, the withdrawal, the..." he paused. Suga raised an eyebrow at him and he sighed, continuing. "The blood, Suga. I am talking about the blood on your clothes. Are you self-harming? Please... I can't watch..." He looked away, a little teary. It hit Suga then.

How he must look, seem to the others. Self-harm. Was he self-harming? No, he immediately thought but... was that true? He cut off the petals, made himself bleed. They ate less, it only made the vines stronger. He distanced himself, they all did. And did they deserve to do that?

More importantly, did Daichi deserve to see him die?

The answer was obvious.

"Hey Daichi... I want you to promise me something. That I know what I am doing. And I have reasons, just one you can't know about. I want you to live, Daichi. That is what I am asking. Look around, our team is winning, you have great test scores, a girlfriend." 

He chuckled, but forced the words out around the flowers in his throat.  "Everything is changing for you, for the better. Nothing has changed for me Daichi. And that is okay. I will be fine, if you promise me you'll be as well"

Daichi stood there, confused. Ruffled hair and a loving soul. 

Nothing really had changed, had it? He still loved him before, except now he had the proof of it, evidence he could point to and say 'there doctor, there is the tumor. The poisoned petals that clog my system day in and out.' The doctor would reply, 'Are these new for you?' and Suga would smile and say,

No, they have been there forever.

With that, Suga turned with a smile and walked out of the gym.

___________________________________

Little shorter today, but Chapter number 5 ready to go. Vote comment, do what you like, and thank you for reading!